Bring out yer Diptrace

I also saw the curvy traces on @KR Sound's boards and decided that I wanted some of that for me. I've also been seeing lots of super Rad Dizzy Elk builds, so I just sent this off to Shenzhen for fabrication. The board is designed for a specific set of transistors that sounded great on the breadboard (a pair of MP21E's in Q1 and Q2 and 3AX31C for Q3). No polarity protection on the board as that's being handled by the over-voltage and polarity protection circuit on my I/O breakout board. Looking forward to taking this for a spin!

View attachment 66758
One for Culture Jam's Duo-Vibe (https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=23669.0) that I banged out at work today. Stole the wave control from effectslayouts' pcb. Made the response switch a pot for little reason other than I hate asymmetric controls and wanted to still use a 4 knob tayda enclosure. Figured worst case scenario I just end up hooking up a switch to the pads.

Been wanting to try fun arced traces for a while now and after seeing some of @KR Sound 's most recent boards figured I'd do teardrops as well! Solder mask hidden here to show off both of those :)

View attachment 66754

The only thing about adding fillets and curves to the traces is that making changes afterwards is a little PITA. It’s pretty much the very last step I do and I’ll tweak angles and routes to make them look as appealing as possible. Teardrops in KiCad thou is easy as clicking Add and Remove, so that’s the very last step before verifying.

I'm not sure if I'll ever produce this, but in my quest to get the 500D/Mysto/Nadine's distortion pedal work, I resorted to just straight up replicating the original trace layout. I opted for rounded traces. Hopefully it's more elegant in Diptrace or KiCad, because it's a bit janky in Eagle. Or maybe I'm janky 🤌 It follows the original to a point. I wanted to save space, shrinking the dimensions and pushing in components. I could really compress it, if it weren't for my hacky methodology.

1707438248836.png

I opted to free-board this one and not use a schematic. Not recommended… I just didn't trust the original available trace, since it seems there were too many cooks and some substitutions were made along the way. I was also able to scrounge for some more board pics during my "trace". Freeboarding is strange, because you have to manually connect parts with airwires before you even put down wires/traces (and if you remove traces connected to multiple parts it will break the airwires…) so it's basically doing the schematic simultaneously with the board—a traditional build with extra steps. Again, not recommended.

I attempted doing an etch layout first in Illustrator which …didn't end well. Scaling, hastiness, my jank again. No. Let's stick with software.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Pelota 2, it's one I've been meaning to play with. After diving into both BBD and FV-1 for delay I keep finding myself pulled back to PT2399, but I've never found a modulation setup on PT2399 that I was thrilled with.
It’s my favourite PT2399. Modulation isn’t my thing, but having it around 10-20% depth adds a bit of flavour to things. Happy to share Gerbers if you want.

It’s my favourite PT2399. Modulation isn’t my thing, but having it around 10-20% depth adds a bit of flavour to things. Happy to share Gerbers if you want.
Good to know, and I appreciate it. I'll probably spin my own though, I don't have the patience for through-hole so I would do an SMD layout for pick-and-place. Maybe see if I can find room for a tube in there :p

Got some excellent and helpful feedback/advice from @bean over on the mbp member projects section on this one.

Tweaking a few traces and then I'll feel good to send it off for a prototype. Maybe lol

OSHCCnO.png

I keep thinking about the placement of the pots after a sleep on it. Might push them in just a bit so theyre not too close to the fringes.

Totally forgot to put this into 3D to check! That should resolve it

Back