Build Notes, Circuit History, Documentation

farwest1

I love all the PedalPCB circuits I've built. They're fantastic, and the downloads are extremely clear.

One thought for future development. Would you consider including a brief history of each circuit as well as why any changes were made? I realize this would be a huge project given the number of PCBs on offer. But it would be really helpful.

Aion Electronics has a description of the history of the circuit as well as the reasons for certain modification. I find these soooo useful. For instance I built a Tone Bender MKII, and it was great to understand its complicated history—as well as why certain Ge transistors work better than others, etc.

Would you ever consider doing this? Maybe just for your four or five most popular circuits? Or maybe even have some of your more knowledgeable users write up a brief description in exchange for a free PCB. Or something?

The build docs will be revamped at some point. There are a lot of things I'd like to do differently, but it's going to be a major undertaking.

The first priority will be the technical aspect; recommended component types, parts sourcing, etc. However, the build docs (and product pages) do need much better write-ups in terms of descriptions, control functions, etc. This is something I was working on last year but got overwhelmed with other tasks and it slipped through the cracks.

Commission work in exchange for PCBs/credit is definitely something I would consider (and was doing previously).

There has been discussion about transitioning the build docs to a "wiki" format where updates/changes can be logged and propagated in real-time, but attention would have to be given to keeping things in a nice printable format.

Your build docs are so great already, such an amazing service. The Wiki could work amazingly.

One thought about that: it would allow people to ask questions about the circuit that would all be gathered under the circuit heading itself. That could be really beneficial.

Yeah...Robert I’m down the road apiece and I thought about asking if you’d like some help when you mentioned you were having a rough spell.
I figured that I don’t probably know enough to be of real service and then my employer called me back to work, which is a blessing.
However, If I can ever lend a hand from here in Savannah don’t hesitate to ask man...I really appreciate and believe in what you do here.

Back