Byzantium Flanger (Boss BF-2)

I've been sitting on my board since it came out for the same reasons. Hopefully this will motivate me to get going on it!!! Your build reports will do that!

I bought a ton of those SB enclosures when they had their 22% off sale. For under 4 bucks an enclosure it's nice to have some cheap enclosures for builds I know I might not use a lot. Or ones I give away. I never do any artwork so it's function over looks for me. The orange enclosures from SB weren't as bad with the scratches but the red ones are pretty terrible.

Do you notice much of a difference when using Tantalum caps? I know that they are technically better that Electrolytics but I've avoided them because of the environmental/political impact. I see a lot of folks on the board using them but I've never compared the same build using Tantalum vs. Electrolytic.

I've been sitting on my board since it came out for the same reasons. Hopefully this will motivate me to get going on it!!! Your build reports will do that!

I bought a ton of those SB enclosures when they had their 22% off sale. For under 4 bucks an enclosure it's nice to have some cheap enclosures for builds I know I might not use a lot. Or ones I give away. I never do any artwork so it's function over looks for me. The orange enclosures from SB weren't as bad with the scratches but the red ones are pretty terrible.

Do you notice much of a difference when using Tantalum caps? I know that they are technically better that Electrolytics but I've avoided them because of the environmental/political impact. I see a lot of folks on the board using them but I've never compared the same build using Tantalum vs. Electrolytic.
I personally do not hear any difference. But there are some extremely knowledgeable folks that swear by tantalum and other extremely knowledgable folks that say "meh".....no diff. 😄.

Let me know if you need anything to complete your build since I'm flush with all the right sized components (including the the low pro 47u caps).
DM your address, I'd be happy to send you what you need to build this.

You can adjust it using the procedure in the Boss BF-2 service manual, which I did first....

Or you can adjust it by ear, which is what I ended up doing because I liked my own setting better than the factory setting.

The bias is like any other BBD based bias, you're adjusting for the maximum amount of modulation without distortion.

For the clock I set the Rate / Depth to minimum then manually swept the flanger between opposite extremes (using the Manual knob) and adjusted the trimmer for what I wanted to hear.

The Res trim is also entirely "to taste" ... turn the Resonance knob all the way up and adjust the trim for the maximum amount of feedback you'd prefer to have on tap.

Personally I wanted the maximum amount of range from all controls in mine.... At maximum Depth I wanted it to sound like I was playing in an empty corn silo and I wanted the resonance control to be capable of full self-oscillation. Some folks might want to tame it back a bit. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I personally do not hear any difference. But there are some extremely knowledgeable folks that swear by tantalum and other extremely knowledgable folks that say "meh".....no diff. 😄.

Let me know if you need anything to complete your build since I'm flush with all the right sized components (including the the low pro 47u caps).
DM your address, I'd be happy to send you what you need to build this.
I appreciate that! I did pickup those 47u caps a while back from Mouser and just got a bunch of bucket and clock chips from Cabintech. I think I'm ready to go but I'll keep that in mind. It'd be cool to set up a network of parts trading since I'm sitting on so many parts I'll never use and inevitably I'll be missing a single part on whatever build I tackle next!

I think this was your first introduction to a PedalPCB Dual Board in 2018!
How many have been built, that Nu-Tube was expensive! :

The NuDrive was never very popular... The NuTube was expensive and I'm not sure it sounded better than other opamp based overdrives... in fact I'm sure there are quite a few I'd prefer over it.

It didn't sound bad and it was a cool gimmick, but I'm not sure it warrants a $60 component.

You can adjust it using the procedure in the Boss BF-2 service manual, which I did first....

Or you can adjust it by ear, which is what I ended up doing because I liked my own setting better than the factory setting.

The bias is like any other BBD based bias, you're adjusting for the maximum amount of modulation without distortion.

For the clock I set the Rate / Depth to minimum then manually swept the flanger between opposite extremes (using the Manual knob) and adjusted the trimmer for what I wanted to hear.

The Res trim is also entirely "to taste" ... turn the Resonance knob all the way up and adjust the trim for the maximum amount of feedback you'd prefer to have on tap.

Personally I wanted the maximum amount of range from all controls in mine.... At maximum Depth I wanted it to sound like I was playing in an empty corn silo and I wanted the resonance control to be capable of full self-oscillation. Some folks might want to tame it back a bit. :ROFLMAO:
Ok, I just followed these instructions. Really the only thing I changed was slightly cleaned up the clock setting. I used a single coil on my Tele to set this. After messing with the other two, I wound up returning them to noon, which is where it sounds best to me.
Thanks!

I want to build a BF-3, but all the Flanger tones in my head are Electric Mistress. I know, I know… “this one is great because it’s different”…I get that..

I want to build a BF-3, but all the Flanger tones in my head are Electric Mistress. I know, I know… “this one is great because it’s different”…I get that..
Hmmm the BF-3 is stereo right? Could be really cool! Either the Collusalus or the Electric Ladyparts is my next flanger depending which I can get all the parts for first. Have you played the MXR-117? Not sure what it's characteristics are different from the Boss ones.

61352C6E-B43D-438D-A32B-43E8A96D20D2.jpeg
So close to either glorious victory or crushing defeat. Stomplfo is on it’s way, only outstanding is the relay pic. Oh and that 100uf between the speed and wave pots that will have to wait until the pots are soldered since there is no way I could get in there with out baking a cap or an IC with it in place.

Hmmm the BF-3 is stereo right? Could be really cool! Either the Collusalus or the Electric Ladyparts is my next flanger depending which I can get all the parts for first. Have you played the MXR-117? Not sure what it's characteristics are different from the Boss ones.

I have never played a Flanger at all. I’ve been trying to build one all Summer, but it seems there is always a component/pcb/chips I can’t find. It’s a very elusive effect…just like you’d expect an Electric Mistress to be…

Oh and that 100uf between the speed and wave pots that will have to wait until the pots are soldered since there is no way I could get in there with out baking a cap or an IC with it in place.

You could solder the pots from the other side of the board. I solder most of mine from that side anyway.

I have never played a Flanger at all. I’ve been trying to build one all Summer, but it seems there is always a component/pcb/chips I can’t find. It’s a very elusive effect…just like you’d expect an Electric Mistress to be…
What are you short of? I may be able to hook you up. DM me.

View attachment 32669
So close to either glorious victory or crushing defeat. Stomplfo is on it’s way, only outstanding is the relay pic. Oh and that 100uf between the speed and wave pots that will have to wait until the pots are soldered since there is no way I could get in there with out baking a cap or an IC with it in place.
Did you put the inductor on the back of it? I've seen @cooder's pic of his build with it on top straddling the trimmer.

I did put it to the back, but did put the 22nf that is marked on the back to the front
I haven't started mine yet. Waiting on Stompflo's in route (I ordered a bunch of them btw to get the free shipping if anyone needs one) and the PIC's from @fig. Oh and a relay......everything else I got! hahah

Back