Byzantium Flanger

Getting ready to box mine. Which drill template did you use? Also, how did you set the clock?

Reactions: fig
Getting ready to box mine. Which drill template did you use? Also, how did you set the clock?
I used the cataclysm delay template for everything but the LED. The LED hole I measured out. I set my pedal up with an oscilloscope according to the boss BF-2 service notes. For clock frequency, set manual and depth knobs to minimum. Probe tp-1 with oscilloscope. Adjust clock trimmer to 40khz.

For bias, set depth and resonance to minimum. Input a 200 hz 0dm sine wave. Hook Oscilloscope to q5 emitter (pin 3). (On the actual boss pedal it’s q3). As you adjust the manual knob back and forth from min to max, adjust bias trimmer for a distortion free waveform.

For resonance set your manual and depth knobs to minimum. Max out your res knob. Plug your pedal output into an amp. Short your input on your pedal. Adjust res trimmer to where pedal just starts to self oscillate. The boss directions say to touch a screw driver across the 2 switching diodes but I found it didn’t make much difference as far as affecting the self oscillation point. Personally, I set my trimmer below the self oscillation point as I don’t use a whole lot of resonance when I use a flanger anyway. The resonance trimmer can be set by ear if you prefer.

Well sh*t. I am short one oscilloscope…….. guess I forgot to add that to my Tayda order. I know it’s a complete crap shoot, but is there any way I could get your trimmer resistance values as they sit now?

I calibrated my first build with an oscilloscope, but the second one I just adjusted by ear for what I thought sounded best. I actually think an external clock control would be pretty cool, you can get some far out robotic sounds if you slow the clock down.

You can also use a DMM if it has a Frequency setting.

I'll upload the paper template later this evening. Here's the link to the Tayda pre-drilled template:

Well sh*t. I am short one oscilloscope…….. guess I forgot to add that to my Tayda order. I know it’s a complete crap shoot, but is there any way I could get your trimmer resistance values as they sit now?
Yeah, I can give you those values in bit. As @PedalPCB said, if your dmm has a frequency setting you can use that for setting the clock. Also, I found that the bias trimmer is pretty forgiving on my pedal. There’s quite a bit of wiggle room before it starts to distort on either end of the pot from a 12 o’clock starting point. You can most certainly set bias by ear.

Ah sweet! Thank you both of you! Of course now that Mr PedalPCB has given me the idea, I haven’t drilled the enclosure yet…… I might be able to squeeze another knob in there. I sort of assumed the bias was the same as setting the Caesar, it was really the clock that I was worried ab

Ah sweet! Thank you both of you! Of course now that Mr PedalPCB has given me the idea, I haven’t drilled the enclosure yet…… I might be able to squeeze another knob in there. I sort of assumed the bias was the same as setting the Caesar, it was really the clock that I was worried ab
Your welcome. I got 147k on my clock trimmer

Back