DEMO Captain Bit Lowballer Circulator (Or, I dream of a future where robots teabag me)

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

I had an enclosure drilled for 18 pots and three footswitches, so I wanted to fill it noisy stuff

First up, an input buffer / splitter. One output goes to the input of the Captain Bit, the other goes directly to pin 3 of the Lowballer's Sens pot, which has been disconnected from the board

Here's a rather boring demo

The Captain Bit only has a few tweaks-
  • Negative side of C5 lifted and tied to a 10k resistor. The other side of the 10k has a 33n cap tied to ground before hitting the transformer. This allows for flutey tones even with the bridge pickup
  • C6 increased to 15n, C7 increased to 33n to help the tracking of the suboctaves
  • IC1 is an LM386 N-4. The 386D worked, but the octup sounded more Jawari-like than I was wanting, and the subs had almost no sustain
  • D1 & D2 are 1N5817
  • C13 increased to 33N

The Lowballer has a few more mods, and the distortion omitted. Mods are focused primarily on getting wider range out of the peak detector-
  • Sens increased to 500kC
  • R4 increased to 22k
  • R5 increased to 2.7M
  • A 1N5817 runs parallel to R5
  • D1 changed to 1N5817
  • R13 and R18 reduced to 47k
  • R12 and R19 replaced with a 220k resistor and dual gang 1MA pot with each gang wired opposite (Rez Bal). As you increase the resonance and Q of one filter, the other gets reduced
  • Master volume trimpot added to the footswitch

The Circulator has items 3, 5, 6, 8, and 9 from Chucks mod list, and further tweaks-
  • Caps in the all-pass stages changed to 330p, 3.3n, 33n, and 330n for a more Univibey flava
  • C8 increased to 470p to help mellow the harshies
  • 1000018462.jpg 1000018461.jpg

I originally had the Minnow in place of the Lowballer, with a few toggles so the LFO of the Circulator, the S&H and Envelope of the Minnow could be swapped and shared between the Minnow and Circulator which was a ton of fun, buuuut the Minnow totally emaciated the Captain Bit, and I couldn't seem to fatten it up to my liking.

Last edited:
Back