Cataclysm Delay

VanWhy

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Serious question, is it possible to have too many delay pedals?

I've been on a tear with PT2399 pedals. They all sound great. This one is no exception. The tone knob really adds a cool flavor to the repeats. A lot of fun to be had with this one.

Straight forward build. Built everything to the PCB silkscreen except for the Repeats pot. I went with A50k pot since that was all I had. Using the MAS Effects relay board which I'm a big fan of.

Great circuit and great layout. Recommended.

Attachments

• 20231111_094110.jpg
    20231111_094110.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20231111_094119.jpg
    20231111_094119.jpg
    750.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20231111_094127.jpg
    20231111_094127.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 34
Big fan of that enclosure.

I built a 2399 delay and didn’t love it, but I’ve seen a bunch of build reports with high recommends lately. I need to try another one.
You have to accept a 2399 delay for what it is, a mid grade 20yo processor, out of all the 2399s I have built the mag echo and the disaster transport are probably my favorites, you can’t expect it to hold a candle to say a DMM or more modern digital delay. that doesn’t mean they can’t sound good in their own way. But that all depends on personal taste… we all like something a little different.

You have to accept a 2399 delay for what it is, a mid grade 20yo processor, out of all the 2399s I have built the mag echo and the disaster transport are probably my favorites, you can’t expect it to hold a candle to say a DMM or more modern digital delay. that doesn’t mean they can’t sound good in their own way. But that all depends on personal taste… we all like something a little different.
That's a great point. I pretty much am just discovering this chip and how it works so it's like a while new thing for me. But it is what it is. It's limited but people like EQD find cool ways to work them.

That's a great point. I pretty much am just discovering this chip and how it works so it's like a while new thing for me. But it is what it is. It's limited but people like EQD find cool ways to work them.
its a fun little chip and the circuits are easy to mod, it’s easy to find different ways to drive it into a controllable oscillation at least for me it’s where I think the 2399 shines.

Back