Clipping switches on the Danae Overdrive ... what exactly do they do ?

from their ad copy: "switches that allow you to toggle between smooth TS-style symmetrical clipping and aggressive SD1-style asymmetrical clipping". they are toggling clipping diodes. Edit: the schematic is in the build doc.

from their ad copy: "switches that allow you to toggle between smooth TS-style symmetrical clipping and aggressive SD1-style asymmetrical clipping". they are toggling clipping diodes. Edit: the schematic is in the build doc.
so one changes from symmetrical to asymmetrical ... and the other adds more diodes to that choice ? if so ... what effect does that have ?
I know where the schematic is ..... hence my question ..... was looking for someone to explain to me what I'm seeing .

More diodes the signal goes through at once = less signal getting clipped.

Asymmetrical clipping = different harmonics come through. This would be a great experiment to try on a breadboard.

so one changes from symmetrical to asymmetrical ... and the other adds more diodes to that choice ?
So basically each switch chooses between 1 or 2 diodes on each side, and it ultimately gives you three options:

- 1 on the left and 1 on the right is symmetrical clipping, with lower clipping threshold.

- 1 on one side and 2 on the other (doesn’t really matter which side is which, they’ll sound the same) is asymmetrical, one side will clip harder than the other.

- 2 on the left and 2 on the right is symmetrical clipping, with higher clipping threshold.

Between the two switches, you’ve got three possible sounds (and it would be a better design choice imho to use a single three-position switch than two SPSTs, since two combinations are equivalent).

@BuddytheReow ’s explanation of the tonal differences covers the tone very well

So basically each switch chooses between 1 or 2 diodes on each side, and it ultimately gives you three options:

- 1 on the left and 1 on the right is symmetrical clipping, with lower clipping threshold.

- 1 on one side and 2 on the other (doesn’t really matter which side is which, they’ll sound the same) is asymmetrical, one side will clip harder than the other.

- 2 on the left and 2 on the right is symmetrical clipping, with higher clipping threshold.

Between the two switches, you’ve got three possible sounds (and it would be a better design choice imho to use a single three-position switch than two SPSTs, since two combinations are equivalent).

@BuddytheReow ’s explanation of the tonal differences covers the tone very well
Thanx! Just built the DanOD and I’m trying to figure out how it works. The saturation knob is either really subtle or I haven’t found a setting that it makes an effective difference. Definitely found some good tones after about 15 minutes of playing with it,tho.

Back
Top Bottom