DEMO Desolate Fuzz (How unpleasant could it really be?)

This post contains an audio or video demo

jwyles90

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Hey all! I finished up this Desolate fuzz build the other day, and had a ton of fun both putting it together and playing with it once it was completed. I put it in a 1590b enclosure, and was finally able to bust out the top-jack drill guide which is freaking awesome and a huge help with those tiny builds. I've also been messing around with decorating enclosures with things other than waterslide decals. For this one I got some mod podge and used that to adhere the paper to the enclosure. I was worried about how it would look once it was all dried up, but I think it came out pretty great and doesn't feel all tacky and gross. I found this crazy-looking tissue paper a while back at an art store. It reminds me of a weird cross between burnt wood, leather, and like, maybe a satanic book wrapped in skin or something? Everyone I've shown it to has had an unpleasant reaction to it, so it felt like the perfect pairing for a pedal called the "unpleasant surprise".

As for the pedal itself, I've got a couple sound clips here. The first clip is a little more 'straightforward' in terms of fuzz sounds. It's gating a bit, but is still really heavy and full and awesome. The second clip is definitely a more extreme setting. With the "crush" toggle on it gets suuuuuper compressed and farty, which I really like but I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. I also found that engaging the crush mode really strengthens the gate, so I had to either crank the onset knob for it to open up, or run some kind of boost or something behind it to push the signal. Either way though, the pedal is surprisingly versatile and has a lot of crazy sounds in it. Super rad overall!

IMG_3440-Photoroom.png IMG_3440 (copy)-Photoroom.png

Last edited:
Looks very cool. I really like that paper wrap. Great job. For the 1590B drill thing, did you have to shift the drill holes for the PCB at all? I'm finding I have to do that for it to work.

Looks very cool. I really like that paper wrap. Great job. For the 1590B drill thing, did you have to shift the drill holes for the PCB at all? I'm finding I have to do that for it to work.
Thank you! So I have the top jack only drill template, are you talking about that or the drill guide for the front of the enclosure too? I've only used the top jack a couple of times but so far I haven't had any issues with it being out of alignment with the in/out jacks or anything like that.

Yep, I was talking about the top jack guide only. For me, I had a tough time with clearing the pots near the top. So I had to shift everything down a bit. It was only on 2 builds I did so it may just be me. At least I know the Desolate fuzz is verified!

Yep, I was talking about the top jack guide only. For me, I had a tough time with clearing the pots near the top. So I had to shift everything down a bit. It was only on 2 builds I did so it may just be me. At least I know the Desolate fuzz is verified!
Oh weird. Yea I haven't had any issues with it so far. I just jammed it as far onto the enclosure as I could and it seemed to work just fine. What kind of jacks are you using?

I'm so glad you did this build report. I had no idea this existed but I think it sounds amazing. Going to make one ASAP.

Back