Did i break my board while desoldering?

kweefthief

So.....I was trying to desolder a SIP socket I put here for a belton brick that i realized didn't fit. I think I can see a little bit of copper lifting up on the left. 5D7AB689-9BDA-4B5A-A218-3326BC2AEB01.jpeg

the best use of a board holder and a finer tip soldering iron. If you can hit JUST the pin and push in to the board, can grab it on the opposite side with tweezers or a needle nose. it's what I do. and next time anybody needs to yank a socket out, just cut the plastic to get as close to individual pins nad do the push and grab... unless you have a electro solder sucker like some of our rich members do 😉

The pad that that copper is closest to appears ot be a ground pad, judging by the spokes around it. I think you just scratched the ground plane, you can check if it has continuity to ground to see.

Yes, the trace is lifted, but it's not the end of the world.

You can run a small jumper wire to patch it up once you remove the leftover pins and reinstall the Belton brick.

View attachment 37399
WOOO! Do have any tips how making the holes reusable? Once I get the pins out the holes will be blocked up by solder right? Thanks so much! Really appreciate it considering you coulda had me buy another pcb LOL.

I would pull each pin one by one with tweezers while heating with the soldering iron, then use desoldering wick or a solder sucker to remove the solder from the holes.

The ground pad (second from the right) is going to be the trickiest because the ground pour will act as a heat sink and make it more difficult.

Get your solder sucker on one side of the board and your soldering iron on the opposite if you can. Should be able to get it pretty clean that way. Don’t try and force anything though there. You’ll just end up lifting more traces.

Why I'm also glad to have other hobbies.. I have what's called a pin vise and some REALLY damn small drill bits, the realm they have labels like 42# and 65#... etc etc, I drill mine because it was pulling the trace up when trying to use the sucker to get the last of the solder... for Bryguy's method, have the sucker on the board 1st, and ready to hit the release the SECOND the solder is liquid.

Back