Dirt Dauber & Sugar Bag builds. BeeTronic day.

Dan0h

My first time firing up the work bench since my Fender and Marshall Tube builds. I needed to order a couple Klon boards and decided to try out a couple BeeTronic builds I have had rolling around in my want list for a while. Thanks again 420 code.

1. Dirt Dauber: Super straight forward small part count build. Has some oddball components but easy to find. This one is pretty cool, the fuzz is nothing to jump up and down about but their take on the octave part is wicked cool. Similar to the Swarm which I love, but less range. It still has a wide range of crazy and subtle thought. When dialed in just right with the fuzz side it’s really cool. Reminds me of the ole mxr Blue box but with way more crazy zones available to dial in. Where the mxr has better sounding fuzz this one has better octave. So maybe someone needs to make a mash up of those two and it would be perfect.

2. Sugar Bag: I don’t know why the hell I built this one. Looking at the component list it’s just another overdrive pedal using tl072s. How can it BEE any different from the zillions of others. And yup, nothing special. Cool clean tones up to warm breakup and some grit but no better than the pile of other cool overdrives out there. Don’t get me wrong it sounds good just doesn’t meet the bar of my faves.

Oh yeah, no pics today. I didn’t even box these up. I’ve gotten to the point now that I’d rather play them unboxed for a week and see if I love them enough to use a box for. The Sugar bag is a no, saved time there. The dirt dauber is a maybe. We will see. I’d really like to combine my blue box and this together and see what happens. The Klon boards will get boxed and I’ll post pics when those are done. I have a really cool textured aqua 125b from Stompboxparts that is going to look sweet with cream Davies knobers.

Was really nice to have flux in the air again it’s been a few months since I touched anything on my bench. Just been enjoying playing more. I did pick up another Hammond 1456 slope enclosure and have one of Robert’s HV power boards left. Another tube build in the works. :)

*edit: Photo posted see below

Last edited:
My first time firing up the work bench since my Fender and Marshall Tube builds. I needed to order a couple Klon boards and decided to try out a couple BeeTronic builds I have had rolling around in my want list for a while. Thanks again 420 code.

1. Dirt Dauber: Super straight forward small part count build. Has some oddball components but easy to find. This one is pretty cool, the fuzz is nothing to jump up and down about but their take on the octave part is wicked cool. Similar to the Swarm which I love, but less range. It still has a wide range of crazy and subtle thought. When dialed in just right with the fuzz side it’s really cool. Reminds me of the ole mxr Blue box but with way more crazy zones available to dial in. Where the mxr has better sounding fuzz this one has better octave. So maybe someone needs to make a mash up of those two and it would be perfect.

2. Sugar Bag: I don’t know why the hell I built this one. Looking at the component list it’s just another overdrive pedal using tl072s. How can it BEE any different from the zillions of others. And yup, nothing special. Cool clean tones up to warm breakup and some grit but no better than the pile of other cool overdrives out there. Don’t get me wrong it sounds good just doesn’t meet the bar of my faves.

Oh yeah, no pics today. I didn’t even box these up. I’ve gotten to the point now that I’d rather play them unboxed for a week and see if I love them enough to use a box for. The Sugar bag is a no, saved time there. The dirt dauber is a maybe. We will see. I’d really like to combine my blue box and this together and see what happens. The Klon boards will get boxed and I’ll post pics when those are done. I have a really cool textured aqua 125b from Stompboxparts that is going to look sweet with cream Davies knobers.

Was really nice to have flux in the air again it’s been a few months since I touched anything on my bench. Just been enjoying playing more. I did pick up another Hammond 1456 slope enclosure and have one of Robert’s HV power boards left. Another tube build in the works. :)
I don't believe you, to quote the famous @Harry Klippton "Pics or it's a bunch of DS-1's".......... :ROFLMAO:

I don't ever think about DS-1s.

I used to have a royal jelly. It was the single most disappointing gear purchase I ever made. I'll be fully honest, I only bought it because i thought it was the coolest looking pedal I had ever seen at the time. I think I sold it a week later for what I paid
Screenshot_20230505-131819-024.png

This is a bit disappointing since I have the graphics done and the PCB on the way, but eh, maybe I'll sell it and can probably earn a bit to offset the cost of some other stuff. I admit I ordered it without doing more research, I just remembered Rabea's demo which was apparently (at least for the most part) into a dirty amp so it made it seem like it had more gain than it actually had. But then I also like using EOB amps, so we'll see.

This is a bit disappointing since I have the graphics done and the PCB on the way, but eh, maybe I'll sell it and can probably earn a bit to offset the cost of some other stuff. I admit I ordered it without doing more research, I just remembered Rabea's demo which was apparently (at least for the most part) into a dirty amp so it made it seem like it had more gain than it actually had. But then I also like using EOB amps, so we'll see.
100%. Yeah Rabea’s demo for sure sold a ton of these fat bees. And seriously you may love it because it does sound good. It just doesn’t sound as good as some of the others I’ve built through my rig. Remember everyone has different taste. So stay excited and judge for your self when you finish it.

I built the Sugar Bag thinking, eh, another standard opamp OD configuration, but I was actually rather pleasantly surprised. I will probably get around to boxing it up at some point. I do like @Dan0h and don't immediately box stuff anymore.

I'm sure playing around with pedals more while they're unboxed would save some money since the enclosures are the single most expensive part - but I like the graphical design part a lot so I don't want to skip that, plus I hate playing pedals with no enclosures.

That 1456 enclosure looks really cool!

I'm sure playing around with pedals more while they're unboxed would save some money since the enclosures are the single most expensive part - but I like the graphical design part a lot so I don't want to skip that, plus I hate playing pedals with no enclosures.

That 1456 enclosure looks really cool!
I always boxed before rocking before. But since I become satisfied with my pedal board new builds are different for me, I know they won’t land on my board unless they are better than what I already have and after going through over 80 builds I’ve finally found the magic combos for my taste. Totally agree that the box and look of a final build is everything. I’m just in a time crunch lately so to put in that extra hour for the case means the pedal has to be pretty amazing.

Yeah the 1456’s are my favorite enclosure for tube builds. They just have that look that rules.
0363B210-EEED-400E-8239-151A25DE7B34_Original.jpeg 026CB3F5-8AA8-484C-BA48-9CC249B548B3_Original.jpeg

Back