Dual gang pot Easy EDA

neiltheseal

Hello again.

Sorry to spam you with all of these EasyEDA questions.

I'm trying to build something in EasyEDA with a dual gang pot and have run into a problem. How do I use a dual pot in Eas EDA?

When I create a PCB I get 2 pots which the program won't let me overlap. Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong?

Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 11.48.22 pm.png

On the schematic my dual pot looks like this.

Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 11.47.00 pm.png

It's this specific file.

Screen Shot 2023-07-28 at 11.47.56 pm.png

Are you trying to physically put one pot next to another on the layout and have them share pin 1?

B50K is backward.

Are you trying to physically put one pot next to another on the layout and have them share pin 1?

B50K is backward.
Not really. As far as I know they should be the same potentiometer but there are 2 footprints.

BK20 is backward because it is on the back of the PCB. I just want to connect both gangs of the one pot.

I see now. For some reason that footprint you picked is weird.

I use Kicad, but when you picked the component for your schematic, did you pick individual pots or a dual-gang?

I see now. For some reason that footprint you picked is weird.

I use Kicad, but when you picked the component for your schematic, did you pick individual pots or a dual-gang?
I think I picked dual gang. Based on what it looks like. But I agree it looks weird and maybe I'm wrong.

Did it somehow break apart the footprint of the 2 gangs?
Don't the .1 and .2 denote the separate schematic elements, but you should place the parent potDual for layout?
So children on schematic and parent on layout. Sorry, it's been a couple of years since I messed with easy eda but that's kinda what it looks like.

Did it somehow break apart the footprint of the 2 gangs?
Don't the .1 and .2 denote the separate schematic elements, but you should place the parent potDual for layout?
So children on schematic and parent on layout. Sorry, it's been a couple of years since I messed with easy eda but that's kinda what it looks like.
Thanks. This was it. Didn't realise you had to use the parent layout. I had used the children. It seems to work now.

Actually the issue was with how I named the components. When i used the default names that came with each side of the pot it worked fine. Noticed I had the same issue with a 4558.

Back