DuoPhase

giovanni

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This has been a long time coming. I built this pedal a few months ago (end of July!). The build itself went relatively smoothly although I think I need a better soldering station (I have a very old off brand one that I got on Amazon which I feel it doesn’t get hot enough until it’s too hot). Definitely the highest part count build I’ve made so far and the board is packed with components. I think the only issue I had is that I accidentally dropped solder in a couple of the leads holes while soldering which then required solders sucking. But that’s just me being sloppy.

One issue I need to resolve is the ticking noise that this pedal introduces. The ticking is audible even when bypassed. I tried pushing the input wire as far from the board as possible to no avail. I’m going to try replacing the LFO opamp with a TL022 as many others mentioned it’s a solution. I will take other suggestions tho!

It took me a long time to wrap this up because of the faceplate. I get to use a laser cutter we have at work and I was having trouble with alignment. The material would slowly move as the cutting went on so I ended up with a few test cuts with mismatched edges and cuts misaligned with the engraved parts. A big mess. So I had to wait for a new bed for the laser cutter which finally arrived a couple weeks ago. And yesterday I managed to find 20 minutes to make the faceplate. I really like the way this one turned out. The lines look sharper than other faceplates I’ve made before. I’m not sure if it’s the different material (white on black acrylic) or the new laser bed or something else (the settings are public, maybe somebody messed with them).

I ran out of white knobs so I used cream. I’m not sure how I feel about that slight mismatch. But that’s an easy thing to change.

Besides the ticking, I’m pretty happy with this pedal. It is a bit more subtle than a phase 90 and a lot less noisy than the Whetstone (again assuming I can fix the ticking). And the out of phase sounds are pretty interesting. I need to spend more time with it.

IMG_0537.jpeg
IMG_0536.jpeg
IMG_0535.jpeg
IMG_2531_Original.jpeg

That’s a really good idea… and it’s much cheaper than the fancy two layer acrylic.
I really like your layout and how the acrylic one came out. That white-on-blue in particular is really sharp. I’ve never seen a pedal design I liked that incorporated wood.

Back