Dust Covers For Dual Gang Pots?

joelorigo

I'm building the ElectroVibe and am using these pots for the speed controls:

What is the thing to do with dust covers for these? I am cutting away some of the wall of the regular ones but it won't cover the rivets on right behind the lower row of pins. There's a row of resistors sitting right about there on the PCB.

It also helps if you crimp down the metal tabs on the dual pot so it sits as flush as possible.

It'll fit, but there isn't a lot of vertical wiggle room in a standard 1590BB once you get the lamp installed.

probably wouldn't be a bad idea for me to draw out some caps for a dual gang and share the .STL file in case anyone needs them in a pinch.... I print all my own dust caps now because it's convenient for me to rip out 40 of them at a time

Just curious, what CAD software do you use?

Autodesk..... I have it for work. But when I want to rip out something simple and I don't have my work laptop with me at home I just use sketch up

I see to tape comments in this thread. Is that really ok? I have only used plastic dustcover before.

With my makeshift plastic covers the bottom plate of the enclosure rocks a bit on contact with the bulb. If I take the covers off the plate fits like normal?

For a 1590BB you need to squeeze the metal tabs down on the body of the dual gang pots before installing and make sure they sit as flush against the board as possible.

Whatever material you use to insulate has to be thin. The pot insulators are 1mm thick and are just about as thick as you can go.

I just take the standard Tayda Dust cover and nip it with my cutter to fit. You need to make the opening a bit wider and cut it all the way to the flat surface... that simple...

I’ve often used double sided foam tape. But it’s thicker than 1mm. Not an issue for most builds, although it gives you less pot leg to solder, only a tiny bit poking through

Is it a problem if the bulb is touching the bottom of the enclosure when it is all finished?
I have the pots screwed into the enclosure and I'm at the point where if I angle the board a bit so the lower edge is slightly closer to the enclosure, so not exactly parallel, the bottom of the enclosure fits on securely. However I'm sure the bulb is touching it.

Last edited:
My only concern would be the bottom of the enclosure taking a blow and passing it on to the lamp.

If you don't plan on throwing it down on the floor or hitting the bottom with a hammer it will probably not be a huge issue.

My only concern would be the bottom of the enclosure taking a blow and passing it on to the lamp.

If you don't plan on throwing it down on the floor or hitting the bottom with a hammer it will probably not be a huge issue.
That sounds good. If there e is a problem in the future I could replace it with one of the 2174 bulbs. Looks like not having the base would be more than adequate. Or maybe I’ll just get one and replace it anyway. Thank you!

Back