E-mail Bonding

Mike McLane

I have a terminal strip circuit board that I need to affix to the back of a matrix of pots so that they are bonded into a unit (but electrically insulated). The normal 3M double stick stuff I can get at Home Depot is ideal except that I'd love to find something with a stronger more permanent bond. I've experimented with epoxy, but it really doesn't adhere to either surface satisfactorily.

I have a terminal strip circuit board that I need to affix to the back of a matrix of pots so that they are bonded into a unit (but electrically insulated). The normal 3M double stick stuff I can get at Home Depot is ideal except that I'd love to find something with a stronger more permanent bond. I've experimented with epoxy, but it really doesn't adhere to either surface satisfactorily.
Hot glue? I have seen other builders use it, but I haven’t use it before.

Re: Hot glue. . . No worky. I have to adhere all 6 pots to the circuit board so that they can be handled as a unit. . . easier to install, etc. By the time I'd get them all doctored the first 3 would be cold already.

IMG_3105 lo rez.JPG

Last edited:
Benny, I sent an inquiry into the 3M tech as to that very product. Awaiting a reply now. Know any sources where I don't have to buy an mega-duty sized spool of the stuff :rolleyes:???

Benny, I sent an inquiry into the 3M tech as to that very product. Awaiting a reply now. Know any sources where I don't have to buy an mega-duty sized spool of the stuff :rolleyes:???
Amazon has options. It’s not cheap. But, you can hold up a highway sign with the stuff.

GuitarPCB has some pretty tacky adhesive I've used...

They are out stock now. I might have a couple of squares if you'd like a sample.

GuitarPCB has some pretty tacky adhesive I've used...

They are out stock now. I might have a couple of squares if you'd like a sample.
They always seem to be out of those Gum Wadz adhesive strips. I’ve got a couple left and think they’re perfect, but can’t find them anywhere. Don’t suppose you found another supplier or an equivalent anywhere?

Thanks! :)

Reactions: fig
No, but wish I had (y) Maybe 3M has something similar?

Cheers!

(just re-read OP...wtg Fig :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

the one I swear by:

but I think even the “light duty foam“ in the rubber adhesive would work great for PCB holding. And, pretty inexpensive.

Why not standoffs and machine screws and kep nuts? Epoxy doesn't stick to epoxy board?
Pcbs don’t always have holes for the standoffs. This is more for adding small daughterboards, or in this case adding a Tentacle to a Muff circuit. It’s just so easy and quick and world’s incredibly well.

Pcbs don’t always have holes for the standoffs. This is more for adding small daughterboards, or in this case adding a Tentacle to a Muff circuit. It’s just so easy and quick and world’s incredibly well.
Well, yeah, I meant drill holes. I make my own circuit board from G10 for tube amp for the past 20 years-ish, nothing quite as strong as 4 SS #8's with nylon spacers and kep nuts!!! I've used epoxy, as well as clear silicone caulk to hold chips onto g10, no problems yet.....

I occasionally use Sugru mouldable glue inside my pedals:

2412f3ee4d1d06e2b03e238c290ac7aa.jpg

04bcbe26ed6e74ccdef20bb7751299b2.jpg

4b03383e9e31237dbadc08ce001e8836.jpg

Back