DEMO Electrovibe - better than I expected

This post contains an audio or video demo

andare

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
20230528_211637-01-01.jpeg

TL;DR

It sounds amazing but it needs a few mods in order to perform well. I believe the build docs should be updated to reflect these mods. Until then, read the forum before you populate your board. Two footswitchable speeds can be useful while performing as an alternative to expression pedals.

PCB

A great layout, very easy to populate - not cramped at all! I love me some roomy PCBs.

Mods

Thanks to the community here, in particular @Big Monk , a lot of useful mods have been documented. I did the unity, min and max speed. These involve changing some resistors and caps. In particular the min speed mod shifts the whole speed range down so you can get a very slow effect but it also reduces the top speed, which is a shame because I wish my build was able to go faster. I set R12 to 4M7, R14 and R15 to 2K7.
With R4 at 2M2, unity is at 2 o'clock. This is absolutely necessary to avoid volume drops. Next time I would socket the caps and resistors for the speed mods to find the best balance.
With Speed maxed out it actually sounds slower and the top speed is a tad below 100%. This might change when I fiddle with the trimpots next.

Issues

Sourcing some parts took a long time, especially the dual gang pots. I had to get the lamp and photocells from Spain and they're not the recommended parts but they match the specs. Eventually I bought a 7371 lamp but I know myself, when I try to desolder parts I destroy boards so I left the flimsy generic lamp in.

I used a 1590BBS (taller) enclosure thanks to a tip in the mod thread and I don't see how it would fit in a 1590BB. The jacks are very close to the board so I had to be careful not to fry components.
In length and width it's a very tight fit. The footswitches are right against the board. Luckily this means the breakout boards can be connected to the main board with pin headers. A blessing in disguise as I hate wiring boards together. It never comes out right.

Initially I soldered shielded wires on the Vibe breakout board (to avoid noises) but they broke off. It's because the insulation is super thick but the wires are very thin. I need better shielded wire! Of course while trying to desolder them I burned the board and had to use a generic breakout board. Too bad, I really wanted to have the Vibe board.

Offboard wiring and adding the LEDs were a cinch using 22 AWG silicone wire. I think I almost figured out how to tin wires. I really need to jump on pre-bond wire. Of course, nothing is available where I live.

Chorus

It's fantastic but the trimpots have to be set right to achieve the effect you want, quite a bit of variation there. No background hiss but it does add a bit of gain and I think it cuts a tiny bit of low end but honestly I can't even hear it.

Vibrato

It's louder than Chorus. A quirk of the circuit is that you either set the trimpots for the best Chorus or the best Vibrato. I really don't know how to use this effect in my music but it's there if I need it.

20230528_211853-01-01.jpeg

Demo

A quick demo in Chorus mode with Speed at 4 o'clock and Intensity at 10 o'clock. It sounds absolutely thick and lush in the room.
I'm not going to quit my day job anytime soon, don't worry (unless AI replaces me, that is). And sorry you have to look at my mug but hey, bonus guitar faces.
Squier 40th Anniversary Jazzmaster, stock, with pure nickel 11-49 rounds by Fender, neck pickup, Tone at 5:

I like slow ranges, but if that was at 4pm, that’s really really slow. I find I can’t feel much difference in rates when the pulses get longer than 4 or 5 seconds.

Lovely sounding effect, and beautiful playing too!

View attachment 49414

TL;DR

It sounds amazing but it needs a few mods in order to perform well. I believe the build docs should be updated to reflect these mods. Until then, read the forum before you populate your board. Two footswitchable speeds can be useful while performing as an alternative to expression pedals.

PCB

A great layout, very easy to populate - not cramped at all! I love me some roomy PCBs.

Mods

Thanks to the community here, in particular @Big Monk , a lot of useful mods have been documented. I did the unity, min and max speed. These involve changing some resistors and caps. In particular the min speed mod shifts the whole speed range down so you can get a very slow effect but it also reduces the top speed, which is a shame because I wish my build was able to go faster. I set R12 to 4M7, R14 and R15 to 2K7.
With R4 at 2M2, unity is at 2 o'clock. This is absolutely necessary to avoid volume drops. Next time I would socket the caps and resistors for the speed mods to find the best balance.
With Speed maxed out it actually sounds slower and the top speed is a tad below 100%. This might change when I fiddle with the trimpots next.

Issues

Sourcing some parts took a long time, especially the dual gang pots. I had to get the lamp and photocells from Spain and they're not the recommended parts but they match the specs. Eventually I bought a 7371 lamp but I know myself, when I try to desolder parts I destroy boards so I left the flimsy generic lamp in.

I used a 1590BBS (taller) enclosure thanks to a tip in the mod thread and I don't see how it would fit in a 1590BB. The jacks are very close to the board so I had to be careful not to fry components.
In length and width it's a very tight fit. The footswitches are right against the board. Luckily this means the breakout boards can be connected to the main board with pin headers. A blessing in disguise as I hate wiring boards together. It never comes out right.

Initially I soldered shielded wires on the Vibe breakout board (to avoid noises) but they broke off. It's because the insulation is super thick but the wires are very thin. I need better shielded wire! Of course while trying to desolder them I burned the board and had to use a generic breakout board. Too bad, I really wanted to have the Vibe board.

Offboard wiring and adding the LEDs were a cinch using 22 AWG silicone wire. I think I almost figured out how to tin wires. I really need to jump on pre-bond wire. Of course, nothing is available where I live.

Chorus

It's fantastic but the trimpots have to be set right to achieve the effect you want, quite a bit of variation there. No background hiss but it does add a bit of gain and I think it cuts a tiny bit of low end but honestly I can't even hear it.

Vibrato

It's louder than Chorus. A quirk of the circuit is that you either set the trimpots for the best Chorus or the best Vibrato. I really don't know how to use this effect in my music but it's there if I need it.

View attachment 49415

Demo

A quick demo in Chorus mode with Speed at 4 o'clock and Intensity at 10 o'clock. It sounds absolutely thick and lush in the room.
I'm not going to quit my day job anytime soon, don't worry (unless AI replaces me, that is). And sorry you have to look at my mug but hey, bonus guitar faces.
Squier 40th Anniversary Jazzmaster, stock, with pure nickel 11-49 rounds by Fender, neck pickup, Tone at 5:

Sounds perfect with your Jazzy. I need to play mine more. I just can't quite figure it out but I love the sound you're getting out of yours!

I would drop R14/R15 down to 1.5k and see how that helps increase the speed.
I'd do that but the thought of disassembling it and possibly making a mess of the board while desoldering makes me hesitate. I'm so bad at these things.

Maybe I'll try these mods with the Mini version since I don't think I need the two speed knobs.

EDIT: I socketed R12 so I dropped it from 4m7 to the stock value of 2m2 and max speed increased so now I have a 1m2 in there and it goes a lot faster. However, the range of both Speed and Intensity knobs is bunched up between 10 and 5 o'clock. More usable but I'll go back to the trimpots once I get a feel for the pedal.

Last edited:
I'd do that but the thought of disassembling it and possibly making a mess of the board while desoldering makes me hesitate. I'm so bad at these things.

Maybe I'll try these mods with the Mini version since I don't think I need the two speed knobs.

EDIT: I socketed R12 so I dropped it from 4m7 to the stock value of 2m2 and max speed increased so now I have a 1m2 in there and it goes a lot faster. However, the range of both Speed and Intensity knobs is bunched up between 10 and 5 o'clock. More usable but I'll go back to the trimpots once I get a feel for the pedal.

“Bunched up around 10 and 5 o’clock…”

That’s basically the whole knob! 😂

Back