Equilux

Alan W

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I like to think I'm selective in what boards I buy—don't we all?— and I look forward to seeing what the hoopla is all about. Some pedals, more than others, and this one was way up there in terms of high hopes. Other than not finding an LND-150, and wondering if the 250 was a good sub (from the specs it seemed to be) there were no hitches with this. And with that much real estate, using those mistakenly ordered RN60s was a piece of cake.

I finished the build about a month ago, and have been using it since then, but have hesitated writing about it, because I still haven't really played much with it. I found a fairly subtle setting that seems to work on everything I've pushed through it—5 strings basses, basses, baritones, plain old guitars, that gives them a bit extra string separation and clarity—what I am assuming is I am slightly EQing for my room acoustics with it—and so, haven't been driven to take it in many of the directions that I think it will excel at. When I don't want it on, (maybe half the time), its because the sound of not having it there appeals to me, or I am in some super clean mood, and don't appreciate the coloration—which is not that much, in all honesty. So, I can't say that it doesn't meet my expectations. I'm still looking forward to the Empress based equalizer that seems right around the corner, but this really has the right inflection points, and the controls act in an almost unsurprisingly expected way. I'd be willing to complain about the size, but at this point, pedals have been spilling onto the floor anyway.

I think I'm within a few months of having enough raw builds to make taking them apart and finishing them worth it, so maybe this one won't stay in it's raw aluminum state too much longer.

Definitely recommended!

taken 2023-03-04 at 12.49.03 PM.jpg taken 2023-01-28 at 8.40.39 AM.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up @Alan W. I just wanted to double-check that the SMD 250 as @Robert supplied (and which I can only just see) is going to fit its spot on the board without complications. Not going to risk this myself but plan to take it to my local SMD expert.

And please Dr @Robert could we have a build document for it sometime? I like to flatter myself by looking at the schematic while imagining that I understand what's going on.

Back