Build document error: Face Melter

Giorfida

Not sure if this is the right section to mention it, but I Just built the face melter, and when I went to put it in the case that I drilled as per the build document, I had to attach flying leads to the indicator LED as the document template has the LED close to the switch, but the pads on the board are oriented for placing between the top 2 knobs.

I didn't think any of PedalPCB pcbs were drawn out to have the LEDs work without leads? I just figured that is the way Robert designed them. I've had to measure mine to get them to work straight from the board to the enclosure to get them to work that way.

They'll usually reach with standard length leads. I don't intentionally extend the PCB over the LED area because folks like to use big bulky metal bezels and it can cause issues, but I do try to get them in the general area.

This one was too far away by any stretch of the imagination.

I think I've been able to make it work on all the stuff I've built. The legs on the Tayda 5mm LEDs are pretty long though.
This one was literally on the opposite end of the pedal (PCB wants it up between top knobs, layout had it by footswitch).
I have an assortment of LEDs I got on Amazon a while back even cheaper than Tayda prices, which are shorter than normal, so they only work for the best cases (or are perfect when I want/need to have flying leads), but I also have a number long lead that work.
The only LEDs I seem to buy anymore are the 3mm for on board mounting.

They'll usually reach with standard length leads. I don't intentionally extend the PCB over the LED area because folks like to use big bulky metal bezels and it can cause issues, but I do try to get them in the general area.

This one was too far away by any stretch of the imagination.
I have no complaints about your boards, and I hope the intent of this post didn’t come across wrong. Just wanted a heads up so others don’t drill via the template like I did before you got a chance to update docs.

And FWIW, the controversial name of the original aside, this pedal is a LOT of fun to play! Definitely has captured the 80s LA sound!!

Back