Fake OPA2134PA from Mouser????

Fingolfen

EDIT: Original question for this thread was answered last year - there is a new question in the thread below...

So I picked up a few OPA2134PA from Mouser in a couple of orders, and I think they've gotten a batch of fake parts, unless TI has changed the packaging for the OPA2134PA

This is what everyone is saying is real on the various interwebs (and I've used in the past)

1672761499043.png

This is what I just opened from Mouser:

Mouser OPA2134PA.jpg

Has all the earmarks of a re-marked TL082...

Thoughts????

Last edited:
Just searching for the number and clicking on 'images' shows a large variety of appearance. Perhaps the bottom number is the actual mfgr nbr?
1672762045238.png

Contact TI if you’re concerned. They’re typically very responsive.

Edit: I just checked a recent direct order from TI. Yours look identical (barring lot number variation) to those I received. I think you’re fine.
Sweet - thanks. The lack of end marking and shifted pin 1 designator were typically the #1 way to spot a fake on these as the Chinese had been repainting TL series Op Amps and selling them as OPA for a huge mark-up.

TI has been known to change their packaging over the years, both the logo size and the lettering.

Mouser is an authorized distributor. It seems unlikely they'd have fakes in their inventory.
That was my thought too, but it was very odd that they looked just like the Chinese fakes made using TL082 chips...

I used to work at Advanced Bionics. They used Mouser. Can you imagine the lawsuit potential if someone died after getting a cochlear implant due to a counterfeit product? ISO companies only use ISO sources in manufacturing. And one of those tenets is *everything* is verified and certified.

I have 2134s from a few Mouser orders, and the ones from several months ago, 2134PAG4s, look like the “old” ones, but my last order was 2134PA and they have the new indent location. I can understand people not liking how wide band these are (compared to most of the op amps that we use in pedals). I really like them though.

I used to work at Advanced Bionics. They used Mouser. Can you imagine the lawsuit potential if someone died after getting a cochlear implant due to a counterfeit product? ISO companies only use ISO sources in manufacturing. And one of those tenets is *everything* is verified and certified.
Makes sense. I'd talked to Mouser and they confirmed that they purchased these directly from TI. I also have a few coming from TI as well (as I need them in a lot of different builds) to compare.

Trivia time - Little known fact, I've been involved in both ISO audits and process control / line walk audits of chemical facilities.

Makes sense. I'd talked to Mouser and they confirmed that they purchased these directly from TI. I also have a few coming from TI as well (as I need them in a lot of different builds) to compare.

Trivia time - Little known fact, I've been involved in both ISO audits and process control / line walk audits of chemical facilities.
Changing computer programs in an FDA supervised ISO facility is daunting. Every line has to be documented, and you have to have a witness sign the FDA documents. And if you lie about *anything* it's PRISON TIME and mistakes in documentation can cost hundreds of thousands in fines. But stick a fork in me because I'M DONE!!!! Yay!

Last edited:
Bringing this back from the archives. I received this little guy from Tayda (I know, I know) a couple weeks ago. It's lacking the dot of the example OPA2134PA at the top of the thread. The "BB" logo is a different font and lineweight too.

Do I have a fake here?

PXL_20240227_152402934.jpg

Hey all - the original question about Mouser was answered ages ago... the thread was brought up by another user for a recent purchase from a different source...

Oh... Case of "alyays check the expiry date of a post before replying". But how many posts up should we go?

Back