Favorite solder lead/tin/silver mix, gauge and provider?

Dali

So far I used stuff that I collected over the years without knowing exactly what is it.

I'm curious about what people here use as type of solder, and which temperature you solder?

I'm aware of the thousands pages on the subject everywhere on the intertube but I prefer trusting my community here...
:)

Maybe few recommandation could then be added to @Jovi Bon Kenobi tutorial!

Phew ? I'll try the 63/37 for the next batch.
This is knowledge from the illustrious pickdropper over at madbean and why I go for 63/37:
The difference is that 63/37 is a blend that has no crystalline state. It goes from liquid to solid with no transition. 60/40 does. If anything moves during the transition, you can end up with a bad joint. 60/40 is fine, 63/37 is just a little bit better.

I have a couple vintage spools of Kester Sn63 "44" resin 0.015" (0.38mm) dia. I didn't use this for many years because I thought it was too fine. Not true! I set my iron to 425C (800F).

I use Kester 24 63/37 0.031" I got from Amazon.

It has flux, but it says its non-corrosive so you don't have to clean. But I always do.

I have been able to even solder a few TSSOP parts with it without extra flux. It seems to wet stuff very easily.

MG Chemicals 63/37 22 gauge and an old Weller WP25 which I believe is about 750 degrees

Non-corrosive means you can use it for electronics, as opposed to the acid flux that's used for sweat-soldering copper pipe.

Non-corrosive means you can use it for electronics, as opposed to the acid flux that's used for sweat-soldering copper pipe.
I think you're correct for what I have. I was sold it as 24 style flux, which isn't on Kester's website. I got it confused with 245 which is sold as a no-clean solder (the packaging looks the same). The part number I have on the spool (2463370027) is for a Kester 44 rosin core solder.

Has anyone used the 245 flux. How does it do as far as getting a good joint without extra flux.

I thought this wet too good for something you weren't supposed to have to clean. I guess I was right about that part.

Back