Feedback Looper

scheffehcs

Hey, looking to see if anyone has built or has a layout for a feedback looper. I’ve heard a phase inverter is handy, any other bells and whistles I could throw in there? Maybe a boost circuit?

Just wondering what you found and if you build something?
I'm starting to look into making a feedback loop pedal.
Thanks

Beavis' simple Flooper is the classic, I like his one with a little more control though, such as the Beavis-one in the article at the bottom of this post.

There's the Ohnoho's "Utter Stutter" which IIRC combines a feedback looper with a tremolo.

As for bells and whistles on a flooper...

Here's a few ideas I've messed around with for the FFFX Super-Flooper, use what you like but maybe you'll be inspired and come up with some of your own twists.

stompers:

🔘 ON/OFF (bypass)
🔘 FLOOP
🔘 100%WET ie DRY KILL 
+ MOMENTARY for DRY KILL or FX so dry continues while fx cuts in/out vice versa
🔘 STUTTER
🔘 ON-OFF ANTI STUTTER — have this patch-bay wired so it can do the whole signal or just the effect
🔘 ANTI-STUTTER [ this is greatly simplified to just two stomps now]
🔘 FX LOOP SIDE INSERT FLIP-FLOPPER
🔘 WARP!

KNOBS:
🔵- Wet
🟤- Dry
🟢- DRY Gain
🟡LEFT SIDE FeedBack
🟠RIGHT SIDE Feedback Vol

AND MAYBE ...
BuffNBlend stomp & knob

DON'T forget HPF & LPF ! These don't have to be toe-controlled, could be small 9mm switches.
LPF on CLEAN
HPF on FX

Other considerations:
A limiter/compressor for after the feedback section of the Flooper, to help tame volume jumps and squeals
A GGG Translocator to swap in/out additional effects into the flooper such as a Hard-Chop tremolo (Vox Repeat Percussion), a Bitcrusher or similar or Escopedo's LoFoMoFo, a Parasit sonic reducer something or other
Buffered Bypass option for tails in case you put a runaway delay in the flooper...
Devi's LDR concept has already been mentioned by Coltonius, above, but you could also consider adding a proximity sensor ala ZachVeXx's Probe Wah ...

1681341873628.jpeg

or via an optical sensor like the robot-builders use:

6a4b6d58a32e84c70f20beba6610a585--arduino-sensors-arduino-robot.jpg

That way you could control the amount of feedback going through the flooper via a foot, and infinitely more cool than a simple BIG KNOB, or SLIDER that breaks the first time your clumsy-oaf size 13 foot hits it...

DBA TOTAL SONIC ANNIHILATION schematic flooper.gif

flooper.jpg
Gjengangar gated delay flooper GD_1_hvit.jpg
FLOOPER LAYOUT.jpg
Feedback loop block diagram FLOOPER.gif

MASF PEDALS halothan1 flooper.gif
Fairfield-1.webp

Attachments

• beavis flooper.gif
    beavis flooper.gif
    50.8 KB · Views: 8
I never got around to building a feedback looper! Crazy, this post does not feel two years old. Thanks for all the great info y’all, very inspiring. It’s back on my list.

I forgot to mention, instead of arcade-buttons, just use regular momentary stompers and add the plastic or aluminum toppers.

I have momentary footswitches in DPDT, 3PDT and even 4PDT — they are all much more robust than the arcade-buttons. Kinda doesn't make sense, since a true arcade-button has to withstand constant hammering as people try to defeat the Galaxians, Space Invaders, Centipedes, etc...

Maybe I just got consumer-level "arcade"-buttons... whatever, I think momentary footstompers are better suited to foot abuse and the coloured snap-on plastic covers from Mooer and the like are cheap and easily replaced, or you can spend a little more and get the aluminum ones with the set-screws. Just don't get the clear Lucite ones with set screws, they just break.

9bf0d7ff13a980715acca14e3494f554.jpg

a0b99eb1e27f9a1d4b08e90262e246ce.jpg

images

…they are all much more robust than the arcade-buttons. Kinda doesn't make sense, since a true arcade-button has to withstand constant hammering as people try to defeat the Galaxians, Space Invaders, Centipedes, etc...

Maybe I just got consumer-level "arcade"-buttons...
the arcade buttons on Amazon are pretty bad. The research I’ve done in the past seems To show that boutique pinball and custom arcade cabinet makers use Sanwa, Happ, or sometimes Semitsu brand switches. Each has a slightly different style to them, but they’re all much higher quality than the No-name stuff you typically find online

Just finished mine.
I combined Beavis design with the LDR idea of the other layout and added pots for send and return levels.
Toggle switch removes the LDR from the path.
Swapped the toggle that activates the feedback for a 3pdt stomp with a led.
No pictures of the inside because it's a complete mess lmfao
Really simple raw enclosure, i'm not sure if everything is correct, probably not but it seems to make really weird noises and many settings to choose which is exactly what i was looking for o_O

schematic de ma pedale.JPG

346150964_950761512833702_1256434784879873576_n.jpg

Back