Flux Cleaners

finebyfine

I had been using 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean up boards for a long time. Then I realized how much better a contact cleaner like Deoxit is - it’s insanely faster and requires less scrubbing than IPA. Only problem is this shit is super expensive compared to IPA and pounding a board with it to clean it drains a can fast.

Anyone use a different kind of flux cleaner that’s more reasonably priced?

I mix 91% or greater IPA with pure acetone (nail polish remover), 50/50. The stuff works great and is super cheap. However, after I'm done, I soak it in an IPA bath for few minutes to rinse off any remaining residue that might have been left.

I have had good results with the wd-40 electronics contact cleaner in the other thread about this
How much is that? Your results are what inspired me to try deoxit on a board

I mix 91% or greater IPA with pure acetone (nail polish remover), 50/50. The stuff works great and is super cheap.

Do you ever worry about the acetone damaging any plastics on components or is it not really strong enough to do any damage?

Last edited:
How much is that? Your results are what inspired me to try deoxit on a board

Do you ever worry about the acetone damaging any plastics on components or is it not really strong enough to do any damage?
I don't think it's strong enough. Also, you are technically diluting it with IPA. I just soak a q-tip with this solution and dab and wipe away the residue. I've also left a puddle of this solution on the PCB and haven't damaged any of the labels or other plastics on the components yet. However, if there's a lot of flux that needs to be cleaned off, I use the solution to break and clean as much of it off. It'll still leave some cloudy/hazy residue that easily comes off in my straight IPA bath/rinse.

With that being said, it's worth trying it out, maybe on a small area, since it's super cheap.

This thread is like deja vu... I must have seen a similar one somewhere else.
I'd advise against using nail polish remover as a source of acetone, it has moisturizers and other stuff in it because it's used on humans. Instead, go to most any hardware store and the paint department will have pure acetone in the solvents/paint thinner section. It's much cleaner than nail polish remover.
Acetone attacks certain plastics but fortunately, not the types used in electronic components which are usually made of polyethylene or polypropylene. Acetone won't hurt either of these types of plastics.
The other thread I saw on this topic, someone recommend "brake cleaner" which is a huge No No... Most brake cleaners use chlorinated solvents which WILL ruin your electronic board and the components on it.
What you want is a cleaner/solvent that leaves NO residue. A 50/50 mixture of IPA and acetone will leave no residue.

@thewintersoldier’s thread on wd40 contact cleaner probably has a lot of overlap

Acetone attacks certain plastics but fortunately, not the types used in electronic components which are usually made of polyethylene or polypropylene.

This is still my main concern using an acetone solution although hearing that @jcrhee uses a q tip is encouraging. Still worried it might not be great on the screw terminal housings I use (I think most of mine are nylon so safe but I have a few leftovers from previous orders with a cheaper housing).

gonna order some wd40 contact cleaner and acetone or grab them next time i’m at a hardware store, thanks everyone:)

What are the issues/downsides to just leaving the flux there? I have not cleaned any of my PCB's post soldering.
It Probably means I should use less flux but because I use lead free solder I usually have a good amount of flux on my boards when I’m done. Can make troubleshooting more difficult and I don’t like getting it on my hands, but there’s nothing wrong with leaving it on. Pure neat-nick territory

I'd advise against using nail polish remover as a source of acetone, it has moisturizers and other stuff in it because it's used on humans. Instead, go to most any hardware store and the paint department will have pure acetone in the solvents/paint thinner section. It's much cleaner than nail polish remover.
Acetone attacks certain plastics but fortunately, not the types used in electronic components which are usually made of polyethylene or polypropylene. Acetone won't hurt either of these types of plastics.
The other thread I saw on this topic, someone recommend "brake cleaner" which is a huge No No... Most brake cleaners use chlorinated solvents which WILL ruin your electronic board and the components on it.
What you want is a cleaner/solvent that leaves NO residue. A 50/50 mixture of IPA and acetone will leave no residue.
I agree with this and definitely recommend what dan is saying. However, they do sell 100% acetone nail polish remover. I would stay clear of the pink stuff.

The only ingredient that I see other than acetone is denatonium benzoate -- alcohol denaturant.

IMG_3929.jpg IMG_3928.jpg

Back