Frequency Interchange Filter (Broughton Audio Low + High Pass Filter)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I decided to dip my toes into the EQ pedal waters and ordered both this and the Equilux Mini boards.

Started with this one primarily to test it out with the Dielectric Boost I just built to tame that Electra sizzle a bit.
It works quite well for that but I was a little underwhelmed with the range of the filtering effect.

Keeping in mind that this is a "filter" as opposed to an active cut/boost EQ.

I'm really looking forward to building the Equilux.

Anyway, it's an effective HPF/LPF tool with plenty of gain on tap as a boost.

I need to play with it some more with different guitars to see what it can do.

This is the "group buy" Neutron 1590B enclosure with some purple knobs. As careful as I was with it, I still managed to scuff it up. Part of the reason I love the Tayda sand enclosures heh.....

IMG_4888.JPG

IMG_4887.JPG

Nice build as usual! That enclosure looks like unicorn snot! 🦄 😉

Do you always use Lumbergs with 1590B enclosures? I have a few ones that I’m working on and I’m debating whether I should get some of those…

Nice build as usual! That enclosure looks like unicorn snot! 🦄 😉

Do you always use Lumbergs with 1590B enclosures? I have a few ones that I’m working on and I’m debating whether I should get some of those…
No I rarely use Lumbuergs. Just so happens with the "ears" on this PCB and the dual gang pots I had no choice but Lumbergs.

This circuit was designed for bass. I don't think it's very useful for guitar. Mostly the HPF is used to cut the low end rumble before it reaches the amp. Broughton also makes an always on version of the HPF that many mount directly under the board. The LPF is used to cut hiss from horns in cabs and finger squeaks.

Speaking of group buy, let's all chip in and get Michael some labels.

Nice build as always!

This circuit was designed for bass. I don't think it's very useful for guitar. Mostly the HPF is used to cut the low end rumble before it reaches the amp. Broughton also makes an always on version of the HPF that many mount directly under the board. The LPF is used to cut hiss from horns in cabs and finger squeaks.

I was actually half surprised to see @MichaelW build this one. Then I remembered he's running out of new things to build.

It's definitely a set and forget utility for me, not a toan shaper. I have it end of chain after an equiluxe which is likely overkill but it pleases me. I mostly use it as a catch all to keep the lowest frequencies under control. It especially comes in to play with my use of the meatbox, ocelot, ehx HOG, etc... makes the frequencies you want down there seem stronger. I also take off a nearly imperceptible amount of highs with the lpf. It takes care of finger squeaks and stuff but it also tames some of the harsher fuzz/octave up (and lately ring mod) sounds without getting in the way the rest of the time.

No I rarely use Lumbuergs. Just so happens with the "ears" on this PCB and the dual gang pots I had no choice but Lumbergs.
Would regular jacks not fit? They aren’t longer than Lumbergs no? I thought the main advantage was that they are lower profile against the enclosure? So many questions!

Would regular jacks not fit? They aren’t longer than Lumbergs no? I thought the main advantage was that they are lower profile against the enclosure? So many questions!

Well that explains a lot:) I'm going to have to break out the bass and try it.

Waiting for a couple of bits and bobs I forgot to order from @Robert for my Equilux Mini.

Boy oh boy that was a tight fit! I used regular jacks which were hard to get into the enclosure with pot with plastic covers (I may try without next time). I also had to bend the pins to avoid contact with the bottom plate. And I’m still worried there will be shorts! But unfortunately I haven’t had a chance to test it yet because it’s a SoB and I need to bias the transistors and I’m too tired to do that right now! I’ll get to it tomorrow and hopefully with no issues! Wish me luck! It’s been a long week guys.

Boy oh boy that was a tight fit! I used regular jacks which were hard to get into the enclosure with pot with plastic covers (I may try without next time). I also had to bend the pins to avoid contact with the bottom plate. And I’m still worried there will be shorts! But unfortunately I haven’t had a chance to test it yet because it’s a SoB and I need to bias the transistors and I’m too tired to do that right now! I’ll get to it tomorrow and hopefully with no issues! Wish me luck! It’s been a long week guys.
OK so I think the template is just right. I biased the transistors and tested the pedal and there are no issues.

Well, none related to the template at least. I have some debugging to do (getting no sound, gotta reflow some connections) and some repairs (I burned the LED while I was biasing the transistors). The bypass signal works fine which at least indicates that there are no shorts with the enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom