Fuzzy Fox

I build the Fuzzy Fox a year ago and it never worked. This thread, as well as other recent build reports, has inspired me to return to the project and try and get it working.
You have to give it a whirl, it is such a great fuzz

Reactions: fig
Another home run sir! Brilliant playing as well.

Any mods you might suggest?
Absolutely!

I always recommend building things stock first and then changing things you don't like about it. For the next Fuzzy Fox I make, I would drill a second Footswitch and put the octave switch on there. It would be way more convenient and I think a cool feature to kick on and off.

Great job and very cool video Dan.

I built the Musikding version of the FTM and it sounds exactly like this one. I only broke one of the glass diodes while building it :)
My version has all the knobs and switches wired off board, a rat's nest.
Since it is really scooped in the mids I added an on-off-on DPDT switch with a 6n8 and a 12nF cap to add more mids in. The stock value is 3nF.

My favorite setting is at 15nF, just like the mid boost switch in the Danelectro 3699. (Of course Steve Ridinger, who invented the FTM, is the boss at Danelectro.)
I highly recommend this mod if, like me, you feel scooped pedals disappear in the mix.
My Ampeg Scrambler clone is much more forward and didn't need any mods.

Since we're on the topic I will once again mention Joe Gore's Screech. it has the purest octave I've ever heard. It's like a soprano.

Bonus octave fuzz overdose by Joe:

Back