SOLVED Germanium fuzz not working

Johnnyorange500

Hi,

I’m having a bit of trouble with my Germanium fuzz face build. I seem to think I’ve soldered every wire correctly but I’m not getting any fuzz through the pedal. There’s just a dry guitar signal coming through the bypass and it also switches it off too. So I’m guessing the foot switch and input and output jacks are fine. I’ve just bought a new 9v battery too. All the capacitors and transistors are giving off an electric reading so they haven't burned out. I’m completely baffled as to why it’s not working. Would be very great full for some advice.

Johnny

BTW, you have to set your fuzz put to the mid point that's the 500K pot.

This is a list of voltage you should get with the pot set about in the middle. It may vary, as long as we are close....

1661465505786.png

I may not be able to stay on longer, so you could use this chart to approximate your voltages.

Also, you should do a double check on all your wires, just to be sure.

And as stupid as this may sound, when you tested the pedal, are you sure you had you guitar cable in the input and the output cable to your amp. I do that mistake all the time when I work on an open pedal (upside down).... Just making sure...

BTW, you have to set your fuzz put to the mid point that's the 500K pot.

This is a list of voltage you should get with the pot set about in the middle. It may vary, as long as we are close....

View attachment 31266

I may not be able to stay on longer, so you could use this chart to approximate your voltages.

Also, you should do a double check on all your wires, just to be sure.

And as stupid as this may sound, when you tested the pedal, are you sure you had you guitar cable in the input and the output cable to your amp. I do that mistake all the time when I work on an open pedal (upside down).... Just making sure...
Cheers mate. thanks for your help, it’s greatly appreciated. I think I’m getting all bogged down with it all, it’s a shame it’s not working guess sometimes it’s trail and error. Hopefully, I should get to the bottom of it. It’s just acting wired everything looks right! Anyways I’m gonna have to get some sleep. Take it easy thanks again!

Cheers mate. thanks for your help, it’s greatly appreciated. I think I’m getting all bogged down with it all, it’s a shame it’s not working guess sometimes it’s trail and error. Hopefully, I should get to the bottom of it. It’s just acting wired everything looks right! Anyways I’m gonna have to get some sleep. Take it easy thanks again!
No problem, you got some good info here to start troubleshooting. Go slow, be methodical, make sure that you have your jack in, that the pedal is engaged, and that you take you time to properly document your voltage.

Other member here can help you when you get back on it if I'm not around...

You will succeed !!!

It's already been said but, make sure you have an input plugged in, that battery power need an input cable plugged for the power to go through.

100k = -0.18

2u2 = can’t get a reading?

22uf= can’t get a reading?

Q1 = -0.30

Q2= -6.92

33k= -8.96

470= -0.11

8.2k= -1.99

10nf= -7.31
We will need to be more precise. When you give just the value of a component, we don’t know which side you measured.

That’s why I use specific point with colors so we know exactly what you read.

Can you reply to my message with the color and your result ?

Also when reporting a transistor, give us the pin, D,E or C…. I assume your 6.92V on Q2 is C, but it should match your 8.2k reading, so can go with that.

We will need to be more precise. When you give just the value of a component, we don’t know which side you measured.

That’s why I use specific point with colors so we know exactly what you read.

Can you reply to my message with the color and your result ?

Also when reporting a transistor, give us the pin, D,E or C…. I assume your 6.92V on Q2 is C, but it should match your 8.2k reading, so can go with that.
I’ve managed to get it working!!! Thanks for all the help and suggestions. And the time taken to help me out. Much appreciated.👍🏻

Excellent, what was your issue ?

Also, you can mark the thread solved now
Excellent, what was your issue ?

Also, you can mark the thread solved now…
Ha! I’m not too sure..to be quite honest. I took the whole wiring and parts out of the enclosure and touched up some joints with the soldering gun on the pcb and also the tone pots and jacks. The cv7007 transistors sound really good too. Really happy with the way they’ve turned out. 👍🏻 How do I mark it as solved?

Ha! I’m not too sure..to be quite honest. I took the whole wiring and parts out of the enclosure and touched up some joints with the soldering gun on the pcb and also the tone pots and jacks. The cv7007 transistors sound really good too. Really happy with the way they’ve turned out. 👍🏻 How do I mark it as solved?
Edit the thread title and select the pull down…

Back