Germanium II

I remember over at Madbean that jubal81 figured out something with reverse resistance and the role it plays in how much a diode will clip. You basically measure the resistance going through the diode in one direction, then the other. I don't remember which direction is which, but the higher of the two readings is usually the reverse resistance. Is this the same thing as figuring out the leakage? Anyway, I think you want higher numbers--500k would not distort much; 2m or above is better. The one wrinkle here is that your DMM needs to be able to read resistances of 2m or more. Mine does not so I haven't personally tried this out yet.

The other wrinkle is that the resistance reading depends on how much voltage your DMM applies to the diode when it makes the measurement. There is no standard. For comparison purposes, it's a good way to go as long as you always use the same DMM. The Cheap Chinese Transistor Testers measure reverse current, but they do not reveal the applied reverse voltage used. It's probably close to 5V because that is the internally regulated voltage. In the case of back-to-back diodes, the reverse voltage one diode sees is the forward voltage of the other diode.

What Bret & Chuck said.
Germanium diodes vary widely in leakage, even among the same batch of the same part number. Using them as feedback clippers isn't a good idea, but in a case like this, they MUST be selected for low leakage. That means picking ones with the highest reverse resistance. I've found some that are 6M or more on my Fluke 83V, which the company says tests at below .6V.

The closest through-hole Si alternative I've found for a low-leakage Ge diode is the Bat46. It tests out around 10M reverse resistance. I think it'd make a great alternative for the G2, especially for use in the first clipping stage if you can only scrape together 2 low-leakage Ge diodes for the second stage.

The Klon gets away with wide variances because the Ge diodes are hard clippers following a low-impedance output from an opamp.

Conan, what is the riddle of Germanium?
FV isn't strong, boy, leakage is stronger.

What Bret & Chuck said.
Germanium diodes vary widely in leakage, even among the same batch of the same part number. Using them as feedback clippers isn't a good idea, but in a case like this, they MUST be selected for low leakage. That means picking ones with the highest reverse resistance. I've found some that are 6M or more on my Fluke 83V, which the company says tests at below .6V.

The closest through-hole Si alternative I've found for a low-leakage Ge diode is the Bat46. It tests out around 10M reverse resistance. I think it'd make a great alternative for the G2, especially for use in the first clipping stage if you can only scrape together 2 low-leakage Ge diodes for the second stage.

The Klon gets away with wide variances because the Ge diodes are hard clippers following a low-impedance output from an opamp.

Conan, what is the riddle of Germanium?
FV isn't strong, boy, leakage is stronger.

I may replace mine with BAT46 diodes. And to be honest, I have never been fond of Ge clipping, I know this circuit is a little different, but I have never preferred it when it was an option.

I built one of these from GuitarPCB and they use 1n914s, and it sound pretty fantastic.

Never occurred to me before, but an On-On DPDT to switch between Si/Ge would be a fun mod for this circuit.

I messed with this one quite a bit about 5 years ago and found that once you get the diodes selected, it's a pretty good fuzz-flavored overdrive and not nearly as dark as it is with leaky Ge diodes. I think a lot of the magic comes from running it into a tube amp that's already breaking up.

I've found I prefer the Skreddy designs for this territory - more versatility and less temperamental.

Back