Germanium II

Very nice! Love that hammertone finish! As soon as Tayda has another 15% off, sale, I'm ordering some. How does the tone and sustain of the Ge clipping compare to other BMPs you've built?

Sweet! I need me a G2 again as well since I let a friend try one I built yonks ago and he twisted it out of my hands...

Very nice! Love that hammertone finish! As soon as Tayda has another 15% off, sale, I'm ordering some. How does the tone and sustain of the Ge clipping compare to other BMPs you've built?
A lot less gain...
A little darker...
Not as much of that static sound of a big muff... a little smoother...

Could you do me a favor and take the voltages on your Q5? I am just getting unity gain and slight distortion. I don't think that should be the case.
I am getting around 3.8 on the emitter. The other are around 4.5 or 9v.

I’m getting 3.9v on the collector
The base is showing .62v and emitter is 35mv??
But that can’t be right can it???

Chong:
The amount of gain you get is going to be very dependent on the leakage in the Ge diodes. They don't just leak DC current, they leak AC current too and that makes more negative feedback around Q4 & Q5, reducing gain. Cornish probably hand-picks the diodes in his builds.

Chong:
The amount of gain you get is going to be very dependent on the leakage in the Ge diodes. They don't just leak DC current, they leak AC current too and that makes more negative feedback around Q4 & Q5, reducing gain. Cornish probably hand-picks the diodes in his builds.

I used some D9V and only measured the forward voltage which was pretty much consistent for all four. I didn't measure the leakage though, probably should have.

I remember over at Madbean that jubal81 figured out something with reverse resistance and the role it plays in how much a diode will clip. You basically measure the resistance going through the diode in one direction, then the other. I don't remember which direction is which, but the higher of the two readings is usually the reverse resistance. Is this the same thing as figuring out the leakage? Anyway, I think you want higher numbers--500k would not distort much; 2m or above is better. The one wrinkle here is that your DMM needs to be able to read resistances of 2m or more. Mine does not so I haven't personally tried this out yet.

Back