GM328 Transistor Tester - TL431?

MichaelW

Hey all,

So I just built a GM328 tester kit that I got on Ebay.

It was missing a TL431 transistor.

Does anyone know what this does in the circuit?

I went ahead and put it all together and it seems to be working, at least on diodes and transistors so far.

TIA!

IMG_2861.JPG
IMG_2860.JPG

Pretty cool little tester, I got it to sort/test transistors for some EP builds I have pcb's for. I think last count I have 3 different EP style pcbs's. (Aion Ares, Clandestine and Episode Booster).

Ok, I think I figured out what that voltage regulator is for....duhh...I'm still pretty new at reading schematics beyond "Tele 4-way wiring switch" :)

I think that TL431 is for using a 9v adapter. Can anyone confirm based on the schematic above?

I've verified that my unit only works with a battery and not with a wall wart.

Ok, I got a TL431 from Amazon and installed it this evening, it now works with a 9v wall wart PS.

So confirmed that's what it was for. I'm really liking this little tester, it's more granular than my DMM and I'll be using it going forward when I double check component values as I'm stuffing my boards.
(I can read a 100pf MLCC now woot!) And now I don't have to worry about running down the battery:)

Just because stuff I've never heard of peaks my interest albeit I usually smoke that particular stuff

I glanced at the 431 datasheet and as if by magic a guy posted his blog on reddit

Where he's used it in a fuzz so knowing all u chaps / chapettes like a bit of experimentation in what u smoke and build here it is

Last edited:
Just because stuff I've never heard of peaks my interest albeit I usually smoke that particular stuff

I glanced at the 431 datasheet and as if by magic a guy posted his blog on reddit

Where he's used it in a fuzz so knowing all u chaps / chapettes like a bit of experimentation in what u smoke and build here it is
Well how about that, hah. Well I bought a 10pk off Amazon to finish my GM328. I've got a bunch to spare......

I just picked up one of these little testers, man are they cool! For under $20 they have so many options, even a signal generator! Still figuring out all the ways I can use this, but it seems like a great little gadget, especially considering the low cost.

Is this better than the TC-1? While people like that one, I must have had a bum unit because it couldn't detect any transistor. There's so many different branded versions of TC-1s I was wondering if different vendors have different quality.

Do you have a link from vendor you bought the GM328 from?

Is this better than the TC-1? While people like that one, I must have had a bum unit because it couldn't detect any transistor. There's so many different branded versions of TC-1s I was wondering if different vendors have different quality.

I think all of these CCT's (Cheap Chinese Testers) are based around the same Mega328 chipset. The one I built in this post kinda crapped out.
It stopped detecting stuff intermittently, even resistors.

I bought another at some point that was already assembled from Amazon and still use it regularly for basic stuff. But now that I have the Peak DCA75 I've been using that for transistors and checking vF and stuff like that.

Reactions: spi

Mine has quite a few more features than the TC-1. I own a couple of both and use them daily. TC-1 generally for testing tolerances in resistors, caps and silicon transistors prior to installation. If I could only purchase one, it’d probably be the GM328, because it does everything the TC-1 does and more. Here’s a link to the last GM328 I purchased. This one comes prebuilt and under $20.

Reactions: spi
Back