Guitar PCB Swah (Snow White auto wah)

Locrian99

Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
This build came about in sort of a funny way. I had made a build report for the 6 band parametric eq, and this enclosure with Charlie Brown on it for a park auto wah I had built in vero was photo bombing in it. Got a few comments on the enclosure, thing was I didn’t care much for that park auto wah and decided to reuse the enclosure I stripped it and it now had a big muff wirb a mids switch in it. @Feral Feline suggested the Snow White auto wah, shared a demo and I was pretty impressed. So I found the board over on guitar pcb and ordered it up.

This board has been completed for almost a month waiting for me to get around to doing the enclosure. And boxing it up. Had it all drilled out and painted just needed to do the decal.

This is where I started to run into problems some
self inflicted 100% some self inflicted due to questionable design in my eyes and my own assumptions and one particular of why would they do it like that.

Today during my youngest nap while the wife and oldest were off making Christmas cookies I got the decal done and applied it. Went on awesome was looking great. Let it sit and dry for about 2 1/2 hours Room it out to the garage (it’s probably 40 out and rainy at this time) and put the clear coat on (normally i bring it back in lately after putting on the clear coat but wasn’t worried about it drying fast as we were leaving. Went to dinner and Xmas lights, got home went out to check my pedal soon as I could and the decal bubbled. I’m not sure if i didn’t let it dry long enough (I feel like it should have) or if ot being too cold in the garage made it do it. But it happened it also pulled the sides a little so they don’t look straight anymore. Bummed, but I decided to just go with it for now.

Now on to the led and off board wiring. I don’t really care for the way it’s set up in these boards at all. It doesn’t really make any sense to me. Your board input is next to the pad for the input jack ground. Why the Inout jack is on the other side of the board and the input to the board has nothing really to do with the input jack. Your +v and ground connections are at the opposite side of the board from where they need to go as well. The directions for using a normal led are not clear at all if you aren’t using one of the 3pdt boards they sell. I would’ve done it wrong if not for @MichaelW build report where he mentioned being confused by it. And I still wasn’t sure I had it right til it worked. I pushed my board a little further up the enclosure than normal to try and leave plenty of room for design. Didn’t think about the two film caps at the top of the board (since this is where pots, power wires and ground pads for jacks should go) and my jack won’t fit, tried an open fram one. Nope. Ended up getting it to fit by putting it in crooked and tightening it until it kind of willed its way into position. I was a bit worried about the film caps but they lived. Wiring is a bit of a mess I normally always run the jack wiring under the board but with the jacks where they are it seemed kind of pointless. And I was somewhat annoyed at this point.

Despite all my unforced errors on this I really like the pedal it’s very responsive to pick attack, and is just fun. It won’t replace my Morley but I will for sure use this. 47139D56-5B6C-495B-B2BF-0FCD7733CB90.jpeg A687CCC2-52F4-49D4-B17B-CB7E47C22D0A.jpeg 3D63B676-B707-4823-B79B-873F2028B2DC.jpeg CCDEF911-911F-4A1B-9D0D-20BFBD784224.jpeg
Last image is before the clear coat. :(

Attachments

• 0D65EF80-CAE3-4CD1-956F-0A77D19B89E6.jpeg
    0D65EF80-CAE3-4CD1-956F-0A77D19B89E6.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 14
I love this build.

Sorry to hear you had a crap time with it, but it came out all right in the end. I especially love Charlie Brown's "third-eye"! 😸

I've got the older board (V3) with poorly placed 9mm-sized pot spots, which you can't even use because they're too close together and the DECAY pot HAS to be offboard wired...

SWAH V3 wiring GPCB.jpg

Fuzz Dog's layout isn't much better than GPCB's V5, I think as it still is meant for the old side-jackassage-paradigm-that-won't-die.
EPK's PCB is also poorly laid out from an ease-of-build standpoint, I think it may also be 9mm pot spacing, but meant for offboard wiring.
Same for LG's SnoWahFlake.
Not sure what else is out there, but I'm sure there's a few other SWAW-PCB suppliers out there. Maybe Jed's Peds ... ?

Sure would be great if @Robert did a PedalPCB-version with all the available mods, side-chain etc.

I love this build.

Sorry to hear you had a crap time with it, but it came out all right in the end. I especially love Charlie Brown's "third-eye"! 😸

I've got the older board (V3) with poorly placed 9mm-sized pot spots, which you can't even use because they're too close together and the DECAY pot HAS to be offboard wired...

View attachment 37882

Fuzz Dog's layout isn't much better than GPCB's V5, I think as it still is meant for the old side-jackassage-paradigm-that-won't-die.
EPK's PCB is also poorly laid out from an ease-of-build standpoint, I think it may also be 9mm pot spacing, but meant for offboard wiring.
Same for LG's SnoWahFlake.
Not sure what else is out there, but I'm sure there's a few other SWAW-PCB suppliers out there. Maybe Jed's Peds ... ?

Sure would be great if @Robert did a PedalPCB-version with all the available mods, side-chain etc.
I guess the wiring placement would make the most sense for side mounted jacks. I hadn’t even thought of that it just seems so silly. As I said most of my issues were self inflicted I really didn’t think I was going to be able to get a jack to work. Funny I didn’t think of side mounted as I’m looking in the enclosure thinking man there’s a lot of room in the middle

I go out of my way on some builds to figure out ways to make them have top jacks.

Makes for some interesting switch or jack locations to get around a mod or two...

I'm currently working through a pile of Guitar PCB projects I bought a long time ago. Mostly older versions with wired pots. They definitely don't fit nicely into ANY enclosure. And SO... MUCH... OFFBOARD... WIRING... The daughter boards are definitely geared more toward side jacks. My biggest complaint about these boards is that they can't withstand removing a part very well. You have to be really careful not to pull up the pad. I have the SWAH (older version) in the stack, I'll probably work on that one next now. See what the fuss is about.

I'm curious on people's overwhelming preference for top jacks? It makes sense to me on a deeper enclosure like a 125B but I'm not particularly partial to it. I know I'm in the minority but I love a 1590B with power on the top, jacks on the side. I even like the occasional 1590BB when I'm feeling nostalgic!

I'm currently working through a pile of Guitar PCB projects I bought a long time ago. Mostly older versions with wired pots. They definitely don't fit nicely into ANY enclosure. And SO... MUCH... OFFBOARD... WIRING... The daughter boards are definitely geared more toward side jacks. My biggest complaint about these boards is that they can't withstand removing a part very well. You have to be really careful not to pull up the pad. I have the SWAH (older version) in the stack, I'll probably work on that one next now. See what the fuss is about.

I'm curious on people's overwhelming preference for top jacks? It makes sense to me on a deeper enclosure like a 125B but I'm not particularly partial to it. I know I'm in the minority but I love a 1590B with power on the top, jacks on the side. I even like the occasional 1590BB when I'm feeling nostalgic!
I like the way it sits on a board better is all. I have a boss rv-6 I use for my reverb and my tuner everything else is top mounted just makes the cables better in my mind. A bit of better planning on my part would have taken care of my issues with this board. I was mainly just so bummed the decal did the bubbling. I’ve got several other pedals and a speaker cab to finish up at the moment I might end up redoing this enclosure down the road. The circuit itself is very cool imo.

Nice! A spray clear coat will do that when it’s rainy outside. Too much humidity. Paint the same way. The other thing is, I’ve had no luck clear coating anytime but summer. Bubbles up the rest of the time.

Nice! A spray clear coat will do that when it’s rainy outside. Too much humidity. Paint the same way. The other thing is, I’ve had no luck clear coating anytime but summer. Bubbles up the rest of the time.
Western Oregon…. I can clear coat again in June lol. I did successfully do my Aphrodite build but I brought it inside after applying the clear coat. Lesson learned I suppose.

I hear you. I've got a bunch of GPCB stuff and my very first project pulled a pad (I was also new to soldering at the time); sucker for the sales so I've got multiple boards and like you say, not very builder-friendly.

TOP JACKS:
j3acinov9rk61.jpg

Not my pic

Easy-access jacks/power, cleaner cable runs, more compact for more pedals, easily swap in/out other pedals, easy trouble-shooting, uniformity
However, on the mostly clean board above, note the massive PITA, I mean, Pink Protein ... moreover, note the problematic tuner.
I know of only a couple of TOP-JACK tuners.
Seriously, WTFudgsicle tuner-makers? Join the modern age pedal-programme, already.

SiDe-JaCkS:
img_0485.jpg

Not my pic

Chaos (tap-dancing), Death (of signal) and Destruction (of tone).
Troublesome trouble-shooting, pervasively-problematic pedal-swaps due to jacks from different pedals facing each other, WASTED precious pedalboard real-estate from having jacks on 3-sides of a pedal, poor patch-runs of spaghetti, painful random power routing... 😸

SiDe-JaCkS:
img_0485.jpg
Oh man, where did you get that pic of my pedal board???

I think there are pros and cons to both. On an angled board where you can run the patch cables down/under and you have enough space between the rows then top mounted jacks can make everything cleaner. Or when using a switcher.

But I could never use that super clean board in a band situation because everything is too tight. When I'm leaning over a mic stand my size 12 foot can't dance with that kind of precision. It's similar to why I don't care for "mini" pedals. I need the usable width of my foot to easily work a pedal board while I'm focusing on performing. For me sometimes I prefer the height of the 1590 enclosures on some pedalboards and the flexibility to run the patch cables to use the space I need anyway between the pedals. I definitely understand I am in the minority!

I'll stop hijacking this wonderful build report with this debate on jack placement!

Hell I don’t even really have a pedal board anymore I had built one before I started building pedals had my reverb delay chorus muff od and tuner on it. And was close to full. Needless to say since I’ve been building it doesn’t quite do it anymore. I need to build another one that’s quite a bit larger and just make the first one my overdrive board 😂

Back