Harmonic Tremolos

I got the Walrus Monument v2 on the mail the other day. Sounds pretty good and is very versatile too!

Here's a gut shot:

PXL_20201210_214827048.jpg

I don't know a whole lot about electronics, and I've never traced a circuit before, but if anyone's interested and able to provide some guidance, I guess could give it a shot.

I'm not sure I see the point of having a Mix pot to be honest. I should listen to demos I guess.

I'm not sure I see the point of having a Mix pot to be honest. I should listen to demos I guess.

It makes more sense to me in harmonic mode than standard tremolo....

You might want the LFO to have a nice wide swooshing vibe, but dialed back in the mix a bit so it's not overwhelming.

It makes more sense to me in harmonic mode than standard tremolo....

You might want the LFO to have a nice wide swooshing vibe, but dialed back in the mix a bit so it's not overwhelming.

Oh yeah, I see. Interesting

I see that it's coming soon. Great!
What kind of photo-cells/leds does it require?

Would it be possible to add a switch or two to use the features from the Cardinal Harmonic Trem? I mean trem on just the treble and trem on just the bass.

Would it be possible to add a switch or two to use the features from the Cardinal Harmonic Trem? I mean trem on just the treble and trem on just the bass.

There's another version with more features on the horizon. This one was meant to be dead simple to build and use.

I started with a calculated 600Hz (HP) and 400Hz (LP) during prototyping but once the design was done I socketed the filter components and tried quite a few combinations "by ear"... What I ended up with is 1950Hz (HP) and 400Hz (LP).

They're both simple RC filters so tweaking is easy enough for anyone who wants a less extreme separation.

These will likely be variable in a future (more in-depth) version, as well as independent controls for the intensity of each side... For this version I didn't want any trim adjustments, just a straight forward "build it and go" sort of design.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot!
1950Hz is quite a bit higher than the Cardinal or Twin peak tremolo (more around 700-800Hz if I remember correctly), which probably explains the sound difference I was hearing in your demo! But it sounds great!

It seems odd that there's no simple harmonic tremolo on the DIY scene. The Cardinal is excellent, but requires specific jfets and vactrols. The Twin Peaks has too many features for my taste, but sounds outstanding.

It seems odd that there's no simple harmonic tremolo on the DIY scene. The Cardinal is excellent, but requires specific jfets and vactrols. The Twin Peaks has too many features for my taste, but sounds outstanding.
The Schaller Harmonic Tremolo has been my go-to for simplicity. It only uses 4 x 2n5088 and a handful of passives and it sounds fantastic.
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/03/schaller-tremolo.html
A few pcbs exist for it as well.

Back