Hoof/Ungula

After some back & forth, UTsource refunded me the cost of the 18 bad transistors. I will not recommend them, there are too many good sources for Ge transistors. I have yet to find a good source for 1N34As. The ones I got from from Tayda and Guitar Pedal Parts are fugazi.

I’m curious about this comment. I’ve purchased 1N34a’s from a few places (from Smallbear to Amazon). Is there a way to test them with a multifunction meter to see if what I have are ok? I’ve used them in a few builds already and they sound good to me. Although, with my lack of knowledge on how particular builds “should” sound I’m curious if they can sound better with different 1N34a’s. The ones I’ve used all look the same, the small Orange with black stripe like these:

(Pack of 20 Pieces) Chanzon 1N34A 1N34 Germanium Diode 50mA 65V DO-35 (DO-204AH) IN34A IN34 Axial for TV FM AM Radio Detection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079KJVKTT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0NZKEbBQSCRZA

What did your Small Bear 1N34A's look like? All of the real Ge diodes I have are in a clear glass case about the size of a 1/2W resistor, except some D2x Russian diodes in a painted glass case.

If the datasheet is to be believed, then those Chanzon diodes are germanium. But they sure look like Schottkys in that tiny orange package. For $6, it's worth the gamble.

The easiest way I know of to discriminate between germanium and Schottky diodes is to measure Vf with a multimeter at different temperatures. Vf has a negative tempco in all diodes, meaning that when the temperature goes up, Vf goes down. Ge diodes are very temperature sensitive. Connect the diode to your multimeter and watch the Vf reading. When it stabilizes, put two fingers around to diode to warm it up. The Vf on Ge diodes will drop rapidly and a lot more than 10mV.

I took these measurements just now:
fugazi 1N34A from GPP: Vf @ room temp = 264mV. Vf warmed up with fingers: 253mV - 11mV change
fugazi 1N34A from Tayda: Vf @ room temp = 302mV. Vf warmed up with fingers: 289mV - 13mV change
green band 1N34A: Vf @ room temp = 274mV. Vf warmed up with fingers: 252mV - 22mV change

To be fair, in some circuits Schottky diodes will work as well as, or better than germanium. For instance, in an octave circuit like the Squidward, Foxx Fuzz Tone (octave portion only) or Parenthesis (octave portion only). Some people even prefer Schottky over germanium for clipping diodes.

Back