How bad are they really? Talk me out of PCB Guitar Mania

At least to add another 2c to the conversation. Using schematics which are freely available online is what the DIY world is all about. It’s also an unwritten obligation to share your schematics when you produce boards, so there’s always the risk that someone can use your hard work for their own reward. Let us not forget that we’re all building clones of someone else’s work.

That said, copying someone’s layout directly for sale is a no no. Copying a vendors unique interpretation of a circuit (incorporating mods or whatever) is a grey area. Why do we draw the line at cloning a pedal maker but not a PCB maker? I do believe it’s bad form, “just not cricket” where I come from, but it’s the nature of the scene (again, an unspoken rule not to use another vendors goods, but I digress).

Hopefully, it leads to the person getting a better understanding of circuits and making something unique which evolves the community. Maybe not, but it’s the price to pay for DIY freedoms.

Personally, building and selling boards should be about sharing the love, not a money grab (though it’s nice to have a few dollaroos for your efforts). It’s a damn shame that Europe gets so few options when it comes to a quality range at decent prices.

And let’s be honest. All it would take is for two of our favourite vendors to go offline and we’d all be begging for whatever we can get.

Those damn sales and bulk-pack deals are indeed a trigger, but as much as this moth is drawn to that flame, I've managed to resist after succumbing once to PCBGM when the company first began operations.

I swore I'd never buy any more, but these are calling to me:
1) Flaming Ring ('cause the DEFX version is too HOOJ) and the
2) Black Mirror VII ('cause I was gifted enclosures for this circuit) and
3) The Blender: signal split to 3, in parallel or series — ie The Phantom Pain audio router.
Just wanted to say you before you get the Black Mirror that those enclosures have holes that won't align with the toggle switches on the board. Just a little off you'd have to drill them out/faceplate 'em. I get frustrated doing that so I just kept ordering new enclosures until I got it right. The circuit works though, can't tell ya how good it compares to the real one but it does all I need it to do for a guitarist that plays a little bass. But I won't be ordering from there ever again, only wanted that Dark Glass pedal.

I've had very mixed experiences. Some of them work fine... others not so much. I've talked to the owner on social media a few times - seems like a nice guy overall. That being said, at this point I'd trust my own layouts more... and I'm still a neophyte. I certainly trust anything PedalPCB makes a lot more.

I have a couple Cosmos delay boards and after prodding those guys for an updated build doc, I am not at all confident I want to even try. Call me crazy but when a component isn't needed, the next generation of the pcb wouldn't have a spot for that component anymore, right? I think if I'd seen the most recent (temporary) build doc, I would have passed this one by completely. More components to leave off now, including the tails switch which now has to be wired off board to work...I guess. I think I'm gonna cut my losses here and move on.

I built a seek trem clone from them. It was fine but the pots should have been installed on the opposite side. No mention of it in the instructions. So the thing runs with pots turning the opposite direction and the LEDs light from right to left. Also I ended up wiring a single foot switch to do what they had for two separate switches.

I have a couple Cosmos delay boards and after prodding those guys for an updated build doc, I am not at all confident I want to even try.
Is this the new version board, or the earlier one? If it’s the earlier version don’t waste your time and (more) money. After a year and a half of troubleshooting attempts, I harvested the parts and physically broke the board so I would stop trying to get it to work. Searching their Facebook posts revealed a lot of the same issues, zero resolutions, and radio silence from the seller.

I am firmly of the belief that there is no board testing done before putting them up for sale. Else none of this stuff would get in the wild.
Lately they SEEM to be testing the boards, but unlike other PCB guys who have the original pedals they trace at hand, they probably can only tell whether the board is GENERALLY functioning.

Is this the new version board, or the earlier one? If it’s the earlier version don’t waste your time and (more) money. After a year and a half of troubleshooting attempts, I harvested the parts and physically broke the board so I would stop trying to get it to work. Searching their Facebook posts revealed a lot of the same issues, zero resolutions, and radio silence from the seller.
I ordered the v2.2 when it became available. They packed a v2 by accident, emailed me about the mistake and got the v2.2 into the mail before the first one arrived. They seem to be an earlier revision of the Sagan delay and as near as I can tell, the only changes from v2 to v2.2 are some small differences in component spacing, the solder mask is a different color and the pcb shape & size is a little different.

IMG_7431.jpg

I ordered the v2.2 when it became available. They packed a v2 by accident, emailed me about the mistake and got the v2.2 into the mail before the first one arrived. They seem to be an earlier revision of the Sagan delay and as near as I can tell, the only changes from v2 to v2.2 are some small differences in component spacing, the solder mask is a different color and the pcb shape & size is a little different.

View attachment 52215
Yeah, those are the newest versions, mine was a v1.1. IF I were to attempt build one, I would start with the absolute newest version. It should be noted that already having another version so soon after the release of the v2 (I think I saw that release note just a few months back) should be a red flag.

I've always wanted to build a Sagan Delay.
I was promised a free Sagan Delay to make up for some other PCBGM maleficence, once the PCBs became available.
I heard about all the troubles building the early versions, and the "Free" board was the prototype so —
I never collected on that free load of frustration, didn't want to be the test guinea-pig on the development "team".

I might still give 'em a shot. If it works, great. If not, then hopefully I'll have learned something, even if that something is "don't buy from them again."
Let us know how it goes. If it works this time around I MIGHT be tempted to give it another shot……maybe…..

For what it’s worth, I can vouch for:

-Echo Nightmare
-Acapulco Tone
-Green Lemon
-Ultimate Pharaoh (although position 5 on rotary always has super volume drop, built 4 of them)
-Black Mystic
-Black Goat
-Cherry Fuzz
-Fuzz Blaster (use footswitch in place of toggle though)
-Dwarf Android
-Dwarf Master
-Dwarf Destroyer

There were a couple that didn’t work so well. One was the Tight Metal clone (just didn’t sound right at all), another is the Zombie Chorus (didn’t work at all, no wet signal and one of the positions on the right toggle killed signal completely). There were annother one or two I cant remember at the moment, but will update if I come across them.

Back