How to explain how the Rangefinder works.

Svenson007

I’ve been building pedals for a while now, for myself and others. I made my friend a Rangefinder (I’ve made so many) I “sort” of know how it really works under the hood..

But I don’t feel competent in the nitty-gritty. I only have a general set of knowledge. And want to go further. I know that in the Rangefinder the lower the film cap the less bass frequency and gain when it hits the transistor.

But it would be so awesome if somebody could take a minute and fully explain how the pedal actually works, and also why do caps get more trebly the lower they are. I believe the Rangefinder begins passing audio through a 2.2 capacitor. I’m curious why a 2.2 is more trebly than a 1Uf film cap. I really want to understand what is going on scientifically you know?

He asked if I could explain it… I gave him a general answer. But I want to dig way deeper. After all the pedals I’ve made… it’s getting embarrassing honestly haha.

My knowledge is kinda weak, even though I can build pretty much anything.

If somebody could take a second for me, that would be so rad. I’m starting to get questions that are above me. I just want to learn it all. So I figured the Rangefinder is a good start.

If you can reply even bits of info about this, then I owe you big time. I need help man!

I think this could help a lot of dudes out. There are many at this stage.

Cheers, and I hope somebody can take a minute for builders that lack some knowledge that is common knowledge to them.

Just trying to make a leap here. I figured the Rangefinder (which I love) would be a great start. 🙏

Last edited:

Electrosmash has some of the best analysis articles out there for classic circuits.
Thanks. Yeah that’s a great site. That looks like a great starter. I hope it gets into explaining multi capacitor treble boosters. I know what different selections of caps will do to the sound. Just not why. And the rangefinder had a bunch of cap selections with the rotary.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah that’s a great site. That looks like a great starter. I hope it gets into explaining multi capacitor treble boosters. I know what different selections of caps will do to the sound. Just not why. And the rangefinder had a bunch of cap selections with the rotary.

Cheers

If you scroll down there is a section on input cap and other mods on that site. It explains the why!

Back