How to load effects into EEPROM ?

eh là bas ma

Hello,

I am building DeadAstronaut's F-24 Multi-fx project. It's almost done, and i suspect the two EEPROM sent with the kit are empty. But the project includes a 6 pin header to access the EEPROMs.

If i am correct there are 8 internal effects in the FV-1, and i can add twice as much with these two EEPROM.

I didn't anticipate this situation, i thought these EEPROM would be already loaded, just like PPCB FV-1 projects at musikding. I don't intend to design my own patches, i just want a multi-fx with lots of effects, to ease my burden when i am traveling.

What's the easiest and cheapest way to load some effects into the EEPROM ?

Can i build some sort of diy cable to connect the EEPROM ICs to my computer ?

If not, instructions mention pickit2 programmer or arduino to connect to the ICs. Wich one is the easiest for a total beginner ?

I could also buy some preloaded EEPROM from PPCB, but i am in France, it would probably be around 30 euros shipping costs, so approximately 45 euros for two chips full of patches. Not sure if that's the clever move ?

I also wonder if the patches data from PPCB FV-1 projects are available somewhere in open source, like Spatialist's patches, etc. ?

On musikding they mention SpinCad. I looked it up and got to github.com.

https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer/tree/master/patches

I guess i have to go into the "patches" folder, download 8 patches for each EEPROM, then somehow export them to the EEPROM, and that's it ?

In my experience, EEPROM effects are modulations, reverbs and such. Just to be sure, are there some kind of gain effect possible with FV-1 technology ? Some digital FV-1 apocalyptic fuzz ? I guess not or PPCB would already have released a project...

Every observations and suggestions are welcome !

Last edited:
I'm not that familiar with DA's kit but I'm fairly sure a PICKit 2 (or more likely, clone) would work well for programming. Also look into the CH341, although I have no personal experience with it.

Regarding SpinCAD, you load "banks" of 8 patches or individual patches into the 8 slots and then you can "export to hex", at which point you still have to program the EEPROM using the HEX file.

FV-1 can do distortion but this is not its strength in my opinion. The "cube" distortion is like a soft clipper and (to me) sounds a lot like what's been done in something like a Source Audio Collider Delay for the "tape" overload. There's also a T/X distortion block in SpinCAD derived from sample code on the Spin website. I don't generally get into distortion because you'd usually like to combine that with gain and level and EQ and you run out of knobs too quickly.

DL

For directly transferring the BIN/HEX patch files to a 24LC32A EEPROM, I've found the easiest is to get an EZP2019 SPI Programmer from eBay or Amazon. Some reading on how to use it is required. There is also a lot of info in the PedalPCB WIKI for FV-1 stuff. This does NOT address the use of DA's employment of the 6-pin header used on his build. Might be best to contact the good folks at DeadAstronautFX for more details.

TBH, I do all my FV-1 patch transfers using the SpinSemi FV-1 Development Board.

As for distortion, as Digital Larry points out, the FV-1 is not well suited for distortions/fuzz. The FV-1 does have some gain options, but again, not well suited for the typical dirt/gain type of those FX.

To investigate the potentials of creating your own patches, check out Digital Larry's "SpinCAD Designer App".
And here's a link to the SpinCAD Designer App Master Docs (Tutorials).

Last edited:
For directly transferring the BIN/HEX patch files to a 24LC32A EEPROM, I've found the easiest is to get an EZP2019 SPI Programmer from eBay or Amazon. Some reading on how to use it is required. There is also a lot of info in the PedalPCB WIKI for FV-1 stuff. This does NOT address the use of DA's employment of the 6-pin header used on his build. Might be best to contact the good folks at DeadAstronautFX for more details.

TBH, I do all my FV-1 patch transfers using the SpinSemi FV-1 Development Board.

As for distortion, as Digital Larry points out, the FV-1 is not well suited for distortions/fuzz. The FV-1 does have some gain options, but again, not well suited for the typical dirt/gain type of those FX.

To investigate the potentials of creating your own patches, check out Digital Larry's "SpinCAD Designer App".
And here's a link to the SpinCAD Designer App Master Docs (Tutorials).
I'm just waiting on a couple parts to finish my PPCB dev board, thanks so much for sharing these links!

Back