How ugly is it allowed to be if it works?

How ugly is acceptable? .... you tell me. :ROFLMAO:
Your PCBs are going to be juuuust fine.

1652375548816.png

I can relate, my last JLCPCB order was over $8K.... they do tend to expedite things a bit at that rate though.

I've never used JLCPCB for assembly, they only recently started offering external part sourcing and never seemed to have what I needed in their component library. I might have to give them a shot next time around, I like their PCBs better than most of the other guys. Slightly more expensive, but significantly better quality.

I used to break orders up into smaller batches to avoid ridiculous customs fees, but that has become far too time consuming so I just take the hit and move on.

You want to really be in for a shock? Get a quote from a USA based manufacturer. :censored:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that's how it was sourcing parts when I worked on the base. They'd pay 10 times too much and would have to wait 6 - 12 months for a common component that could be delivered within a few days otherwise. I'm talking resistors and capacitors, and this was before the semiconductor shortage.

I would actually bring in my own components from home for troubleshooting, then order from the approved sources when I knew what we needed.

Oh I'd love to support American businesses but the most basic PCBs would cost like $60 each just to break even.

I don't even want to think about the cost of assembly.

How ugly is acceptable? .... you tell me. :ROFLMAO:
Your PCBs are going to be juuuust fine.

View attachment 26217

I can relate, my last JLCPCB order was over $8K.... they do tend to expedite things a bit at that rate though.

I've never used JLCPCB for assembly, they only recently started offering external part sourcing and never seemed to have what I needed in their component library. I might have to give them a shot next time around, I like their PCBs better than most of the other guys. Slightly more expensive, but significantly better quality.

I used to break orders up into smaller batches to avoid ridiculous customs fees, but that has become far too time consuming so I just take the hit and move on.

You want to really be in for a shock? Get a quote from a USA based manufacturer. :censored:
Sorry $8K for how many different boards and what total quantity? If you don’t mind me asking that is!

Reactions: fig
Back