I need a good first tube project

MBFX

See title - I want to build my first tube project, but the barrier to entry is high. All the forum resources are 20 years old, and nobody sells a kit for less than a complete unit.

So, who has learning resources? I figure it would be best to start with a simple amplifier, like we do with transistor based pedals.

Why not a Tube-Pedal?

Available from MadBean, Sushibox's offshoot Conspiracy To Commit Electronics and some other online resources such as a low-voltage Valve-Caster.

For amps, some will say Champ or its tone-knobbed cousin the 5F2A Princeton, others will say don't waste time and money on an amp you aren't going to play (why wouldn't one play the Champ/Princeton, especially if you build it yourself?)...

Trinity has good kits, from other members' reportage.
Other options:
Ceriatone.
Mojotone.
Other options can be found in the many topic-related threads on this forum.

Last edited:
First you should know about the safety factors with building tube amps, THEY CAN KILL YOU. Learn to work safely with them. Getting zapped it NOT fun.

If you're on FB "Tube Amp Builders (DIY)" is a good group.

+1 on starting with a champ , tweed princeton or GA 5. Helps with the learning curve. Building an amp can be more $ than buying, and kits are usually slightly cheaper and a good way to start.
Also depends on how far you want to go on building an amp, repro or diy chassis, woodworking , tolex, etc.
I've built a few, and honestly the single ended 5W'ers with a 8" or 10" are a lot of fun to build, tinker, crank up. If I had $ and space I'd love to build from scratch.

It can be a fun hobby, but take the safety issues seriously.

+1 on starting with a champ
i would actually recommend the 5F2 (or 5F2-A) princeton over the 5F1 champ, it’s almost the same circuit (+ tone control) and the chassis has more room to work in.

5F1
1707478575312.png

5F2-A
1707478730083.png

looks like mojotone even does a kit

(or if you’re in europe)

EDIT:
having said all of that, you might find a tube preamp project using a PCB from C2CE more affordable (and less of a risk/hazard during testing etc.)

Attachments

• F8444E2B-5812-48CD-ADBB-608516BBD734.jpeg
    F8444E2B-5812-48CD-ADBB-608516BBD734.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 6A98D52F-6470-486C-B6AE-E8A938DA2E72.jpeg
    6A98D52F-6470-486C-B6AE-E8A938DA2E72.jpeg
    379.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
When I started the AX84 site was still up and active. That was a great resource. There are schematics for SE, PP, pre amps, power amps and others like parallel SE. I know there were a site or two listing the resources or a copy of the dead site.

I used a cake pan for my first build, an AX84 P1 or P1 extreme. I wouldn't advise using the cake pan 🤡

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0770.JPG

See title - I want to build my first tube project, but the barrier to entry is high. All the forum resources are 20 years old, and nobody sells a kit for less than a complete unit.

So, who has learning resources? I figure it would be best to start with a simple amplifier, like we do with transistor based pedals.
Uncle Doug on YouTube is an amazing resource of tube knowledge, animal love and dry wit.
https://www.youtube.com/@UncleDoug
Psionic Audio has got game too but mostly down to business.
https://www.youtube.com/@PsionicAudio

There is a lower cost technique using a "Voltage Doubler". Basically two transformers in series 120v~12v / 12v~120v and this will get your heater and B+. I haven't tried this yet as it seems a bit more advanced and I'm still in the greenhorn phase of restoration and modification. I'm 3 for 3 though!

The joy I experienced when I first got tube amplification to happen, it felt like I was Dr. Frankenstein.

I hope this happiness finds you!

I'm certainly not an expert, but I've put together a handful of tube pedals (and a dozen or so amps) and have put together some thoughts in a couple threads here. Happy to answer any questions if you have them.

Tubes and preamp design

Tube power supplies

When I started the AX84 site was still up and active. That was a great resource. There are schematics for SE, PP, pre amps, power amps and others like parallel SE. I know there were a site or two listing the resources or a copy of the dead site.

I used a cake pan for my first build, an AX84 P1 or P1 extreme. I wouldn't advise using the cake pan 🤡

View attachment 68042

View attachment 68043
Cool to see an AX84 alum! I contributed and collaborated on a couple projects and documentation in the early days!

If this prompt doesn't summon him, Direct message @RetiredUnit1 he has all the links to info an d schematics and tons of experience building tube amps.

If this prompt doesn't summon him, Direct message @RetiredUnit1 he has all the links to info an d schematics and tons of experience building tube amps.
A 5F1 Champ is a very small amplifier, meaning smaller chassis, fewer tubes, fewer caps and resistors, less expensive transformers. Mojo has the plans available online, I'm not sure if there is a BOM but it's very easy to do the same sourcing we do for pedals and put together a BOM from the layout.

As you can see from the files below, which you can save to your device, there is everything you need for sourcing parts and a 'how to' for putting them together. Why pay someone else $450 to put those parts into a cheap plastic organizer?

Purchasing the parts individually from https://www.amplifiedparts.com/ or if you have a business license for electronics you can send an email to https://www.cedist.com/ and ask for a wholesale account to $ave Buck$. CE Dist is the original wholesale division of amplified parts. CE Dist was first 25 years ago, and then about 15 years ago they started the retail outlet.

I am getting ready to build a champ, hopefully this year so I could come up with a BOM of the parts you need. I'm retired, nothing to do but clean house and build amps, so why not?

This is a very low resolution image of the one I'm going to be building, it is very different from a kit. It has Rob Robinette's 1/4 power mod, a line out, IEC socket, DPST switches, a 120v LED indicator, a star ground on a 1/4" bolt with the proper ground sequence to prevent ground loops, backup diodes, a cap to suppress standby pop and internal fuses for MAINS and HT.

And a LARGE 1950's pastel GREEN TITLE. The preamp and power circuit are identical tho.

Well, I gotta go mow the lawn and get the chores done. BUSY today!!!!

Edited: I realized I had not numbered the grounding lug order, so I did that today and added the note at the bottom explained the process.

1707621007307.png

Last edited:
As you can see from the files below, which you can save to your device, there is everything you need for sourcing parts and a 'how to' for putting them together. Why pay someone else $450 to put those parts into a cheap plastic organizer?
I was sick a couple of weekends ago and I spent 2 days in bed researching building an amp. This thought did cross my mind.

Cool to see an AX84 alum! I contributed and collaborated on a couple projects and documentation in the early days!
Wait wait. You worked on some projects? Now I gotta know which one and which ax84 person you are. Because I think I started with Valve Jr mods from 18watt and then went to ax84.

Edit: champ or Princeton are pretty solid choices. Maybe a 18watt lite iiB if they make a kit?

Wait wait. You worked on some projects? Now I gotta know which one and which ax84 person you are. Because I think I started with Valve Jr mods from 18watt and then went to ax84.

Edit: champ or Princeton are pretty solid choices. Maybe a 18watt lite iiB if they make a kit?
I did the Cali Dreamer, and collaborated on the LoWatt (early projects)
And also had some input on a safety document.

I did the Cali Dreamer, and collaborated on the LoWatt (early projects)
And also had some input on a safety document.
That sound very interesting! Imma hafta check that out! I've had a AB763 project on the hold for a while. Working out a dual channel AB763 and some kind of high gain modern metal type circuit. Was basing most of the clean channel off the Hoffman 1 channel AB7673. I've built the P1EX, SEL, and the October from AX84, plus the 1x12 speaker enclosure they have/had plans for on the site.. Kinda want to build the Uber SEL too.

Back