If I'm going to buy some SMD 100µF electrolytic caps...

I don't like the backorder date. I have a similar part on order from Reichelt (local vendor in Germany) and they delayed the whole order until February 2024 because of a 100u SMD..

Yeah I didn't notice that straight away! They had something similar which was available and i couldn't see any red flags so ordered some. I got some 100, 47 and 220µF. 220µF always annoys me in through-hole because they're huge and I struggle to fit them on my boards. Using SMD as through-hole is a cool hack. They all ended up being around 35-50C Australian which is pretty good.

That through hole smd hack posted here was much needed and also amazing. Still had to use a few big caps for the Duocast, but the smd that I also ordered made fitting everything into place super easy. Was also very easy removing the plastic bottom and the legs for through the holes perfectly. Awesome hack!

SMD caps are usually solid electrolytics, which are more reliable than ye olde aluminium e-caps.

You can also get through-hole solid e-caps, which are a bit more spendy but have the small size of SMD e-caps and the sturdy legs we all love to stick through PCBs. Luxury!

Back