I'm out of 1n5817 reverse polarity diodes, can I use another schottky?

xefned

Hi folks, I've got some Intelligent Relay Bypass Modules to build and discovered I ran out of 1n5817s.

I have a bunch of other Schottky diodes with values ranging from 4v to 40v Can I use any of those assuming they're rated for over 9v?

Or should I hold my horses and order the correct part?

1n5817.jpg

You can jumper on D1 it if it’s for you and you trust yourself to only use center neg 9v. Leaving D2 open should be fine, it’s kind of a protection for a weird hookup scenario I think. Better yet, solder in sockets. For now, jumper D1 and leave D2 open, then when you get the parts, solder them into the socket.

I can send you some dude. Pm me
You guys are seriously the nicest people on the internet. Fig's generosity seems to be contagious.
I have so many diodes of various kinds that I *should* be able to pull this off. But don't think I don't appreciate the offer. Super nice of you!
Thank you, Stevie.

1n5817 is rated for 20v reverse. Anything bigger than that is fine.

OK, I just realized most of these are labeled "Zener" diodes, not Shottky diodes.

But the Shottkys I have are labeled "BAT85" with a reverse voltage of 30v, and a "very low forward voltage" (less than 0.5v) according to the datasheet. Any problem using these you think?

You guys are seriously the nicest people on the internet. Fig's generosity seems to be contagious.
I have so many diodes of various kinds that I *should* be able to pull this off. But don't think I don't appreciate the offer. Super nice of you!
Thank you, Stevie.

OK, I just realized most of these are labeled "Zener" diodes, not Shottky diodes.

But the Shottkys I have are labeled "BAT85" with a reverse voltage of 30v, and a "very low forward voltage" (less than 0.5v) according to the datasheet. Any problem using these you think?
Dude its never a problem this community has given to me in so many ways that i have to pay it forward! If you need em ill send em it wouldnt be problem!

…the regulator is dropping the voltage down to 5V anyway so losing a few extra tenths across D1 won't hurt a thing …

OK, I laughed at how much I'm fretting about small things. But I appreciate you all took the time to help me think through it.

A low-drop zener is probably more crucial on a board with a 9v regulator, like the basic relay bypass board because it can't afford to lose too much voltage.

I have a buttload of 1N4007 so I'll use those for D2.
And use the BAT85 for D1.

Thanks for all the advice, friends.

Back
Top Bottom