DEMO Kudzu Overdrive (VTT Amps Georgia Overdrive) - Final Update Gain Pot mod

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Final report for today and the one with the demo in it:)

So this pedal actually IS supposed to sound like a Dumble, as VTT amps main flagship offering is their Dumble style amp the "X-1".

The unique features of the "X-1" (in a sea of Dumble clones) is first its size. It's like a lunchbox amp sized head, yet has a full complement of 6L6's and outputs 40 watts.

Secondly, it's price. For a US made, hand wired Dumble clone, it's like around $1800. Compared to a Two Rock, or St Lous electric which are 3-4x that much.
The demo's of it sound really good too. But I digress...

Seems like VTT is trying to capture some of sound of their amp in a pedal, and thus the Kudzu.

Schematically it's something of a cross between a Zen and a YATS. (You may think that's thats a distinction without a difference :ROFLMAO: )

What's interesting is that it's using Mosfet clippers with no diodes. It's a very VERY warm saturated overdrive and actually does the Dumble thing quite well.
What I really like about it is that it's not super "fizzy" like some Zen variants can be. Its gain is thick enough to cut with a knife.

Very cool pedal and highly recommended build if you're into the Dumble sound.

One issue is that most of the usable sounds for me was in the last 10% of rotation of the tone and presence controls. I've been chatting with @music6000 about whether a pot swap to log taper or C taper would be better at spreading out the tone range. You can see in the demo below how drastic the tone change is with the treble control.

IMG_5916.JPG

IMG_5915.JPG

Here's the schematic for the Kudzu
Schematic-Kudzu.png

The demo below is for the Kudzu, the Comprehensive Drive and the Stringer. Comparing them to my VHT "Dumble Style" amp's overdrive channel.

If a pot does all of its stuff in the very last part of the rotation (ie clockwise) then it's probably a reverse Log taper you want - a "C" taper.

The Kudzu is very TS inspired isn't it?? Apart from the presence pot and transistors as clippers...

BTW that guitar is sounding GREAT!

Dumble²
Sounds great @MichaelW
Has a real cutting clarity and great note separation without the tone being to spikey/nasal. Sounds like very prominent 2nd order harmonics. How does it do used in the context of the TS stacked as a no-so-clean boost into another drive pedal scenario?

Dumble²
Sounds great @MichaelW
Has a real cutting clarity and great note separation without the tone being to spikey/nasal. Sounds like very prominent 2nd order harmonics. How does it do used in the context of the TS stacked as a no-so-clean boost into another drive pedal scenario?
Have not tried stacking any of these pedals yet. But I bet any of them would sound great boosting my VHT Overdrive the way Robben Ford uses his Zen to boost his Dumble.

If a pot does all of its stuff in the very last part of the rotation (ie clockwise) then it's probably a reverse Log taper you want - a "C" taper.

The Kudzu is very TS inspired isn't it?? Apart from the presence pot and transistors as clippers...

BTW that guitar is sounding GREAT!
C pots is what @music6000 is suggesting. I think the Kudzu is worthy of some surgery. I really like the pedal.
I'm pretty sure I have both C10k and C25k pots in my inventory.

I have the same problem with the presence and the tone. Maybe a W20 would work for the tone, as well (the C25K sound like a good option, as well). I think the C10K for the presence is a great suggestion, will try it on my next Kudzu. I'm not much of Dumble guy, but I really like this pedal.

Let us know if you guys find the perfect pot values.

I love the Zen drive, so I suspect I will love this even more.

I don't have the original (or prototype) in front of me right this moment but it seems like I recall the gain pot could benefit from a different taper as well.

I don't have the original (or prototype) in front of me right this moment but it seems like I recall the gain pot could benefit from a different taper as well.
NOW he tells me....hahaha.

Ok, I swapped the pots, MUCH better. Highly recommended mods.

I can live with the gain knob the way it is but going to an A1M would help spread out the gain range as well.

So if you're building this one from scratch I'd recommend.

Level: A100k (stock)
Gain: A1M (sub for B1M)
Tone: C25k (sub for B25K)
Presence: C10k (sub B10k)

While I had it apart I also swapped the knobs for a bit more contrast.

IMG_5938.JPG

Here's a short demo showing the difference.

Last edited:
It sounds way better with those knobs.
So what do you think about the Gain? A1M? It's all bunched up at the beginning of the rotation. I'm reconsidering going in for a second round of surgery. Might be cool to have more lower gain sounds for boosting.

Very nice, thanks for all the in depth work on it, also curious to hear what pot values you settle on! Great demos, fab playing again!

PS: Chicken Head knobs make anything more amp like. Try it on a kidney pod.

Grey is a cool choice. I never would have thought of those. Some may think grey knobs might have a bland, public service kind of tone, but I prefer to think of it as a Rainy Day, Dream Away kinda vibe.

And I'd even be tempted to go with A500K for gain.

Also wondering, I might have missed your build report ( as you have built everything under the PPCB sun...) and demo on it, did you build the J.Rockett The Dude/Abider and how does that compare in your opinion to these? Cheers

Back