Lectric-FX Flintlock

mybud

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
ada_innards.jpg

This has been on my build list for a long while (since September last year, to be exact). I took a good couple of days building and then calibrating it with my trusty Hantek scope. While there was definitely flanging, this was a bit flaky till I isolated a cold joint on one of the trimmers. Flaky symptoms: the speed control kicked in and out and the trimming procedure was hit and miss. I discovered that some mild pressure on the trimmer in question alleviated this problem (brought the speed control back) and then found said cold joint. Once fixed, the calibration went quickly and the resultant 'flanginess' is music to the ears.

ada_outards.jpg

In a word, it's fantastic, with some nice weirdness with feedback ('enhance') dimed and a wide range of classic flange sounds on tap. As recommended, I chose a 1590Q for housing and was grateful for the extra room this provided. I forewent the external rate control eventually (purpose of the larger enclosure) but was glad to avoid trying to shoehorn it into a 1590BB.

I've seen an original vintage model for sale on the web for over $2 500. Nice work if you can get it, I guess.

EDE17ADB-5BD7-49DD-9558-10DE19503D78.jpeg

Thanks for reading as ever and best weekend wishes to all.

In a word, it's fantastic
And i'd go even further : It's mega-fantastic.

I know it can be a matter of taste, and it can depend on the rest of the equipment involved, but i really wonder if there is a better sounding flanger anywhere in this world.

According to my humble experience, this circuit is number one, and by far.

It's not an easy build, but it's quite straightforward compared to the Lovetone ? Flanger, Aion's Xenotron project.

Edit : let me quickly mention that Flintlock seems to be usualy much more silent with an 18V power supply. Just take the voltage pump IC out of the board (IC11, if i recall correctly), and you can plugg 18V in the DC power jack. No need i guess, if you dont notice any whistling noises through the whole Manual rotation.

Last edited:
And i'd go even further : It's mega-fantastic.

I know it can be a matter of taste, and it can depend on the rest of the equipment involved, but i really wonder if there is a better sounding flanger anywhere in this world.

According to my humble experience, this circuit is number one, and by far.

It's not an easy build, but it's quite straightforward compared to the Lovetone ? Flanger, Aion's Xenotron project.

Edit : let me quickly mention that Flintlock seems to be usualy much more silent with an 18V power supply. Just take the voltage pump IC out of the board (IC11, if i recall correctly), and you can plugg 18V in the DC power jack. No need i guess, if you dont notice any whistling noises through the whole Manual rotation.
Thanks for that 18V voltage change idea, @eh là bas ma. Seems like mine is fairly quiet, with no whistling at this stage. Definitely worth a shot to tweak the trimmers a bit more in the fullness of time, though.

Great build and report. So delighted to see the 1590Q Gutshot!

I've had the PCB fore a while, and recently made up a list of "1590Q-builds" and put this as a MUST for 1590Q; great to see your build and confirm it.

Yep, I did mine in a 1590Q as well and am glad I did. I still play it all the time! Will have to try out the setting you have in the picture there. Here's a setting for one of the best chorus sounds I've heard: manual and range at 9:00, speed at 3:00, and enhance at 12:00 or less.

What different about the 1590Q?
It’s a square 1590BB, but shallower. Not really suitable for space saving on a crowded pedalboard, but I’m using it as a desktop effect in any case. There’s enough room to relieve the ‘is everything going to fit?’ stress and it can accommodate an expression jack if you plan carefully.

Note to self: must plan more carefully in future 😎

Back