Lemmy sound

Phil hodson

Morning all!

I have a request from a friend to build a bass pedal for him. The only thing I have to go on is he wants a “Lemmy” sound.

Obviously the real Lemmy used a massive old Marshall stack and no pedals which is what we are trying to emulate here.

Any suggestions for a board that would be close to this massive wall of sound.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

You could do the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret, and just run it in Super Bass mode…

The Super Bass 1987 was released as a high-watt bass counterpart to the iconic 1959 Super Lead. Although intended for the bass, this amp was also used by a number of guitarists who appreciated its somewhat less driven tonal character. Like the Super Lead guitar amp, a major transition point in the progression of the Super Bass came in mid-1969 when the faceplate was changed from plexiglass to brushed aluminum. Also in this year, Marshall changed from KT66 to EL34 power tubes.
Years of Production: 1966 - 1981

Unique to ’68: Last year with plexiglass faceplate and KT66 power tubes.
Electronics: 100 watts, four x KT66 power tubes

Boom! There we go! Thanks @Harry Klippton.
So as the switch is and on/on would you know off to the left is super bass looking down at the front of the pedal, and right less bass?
I will go look for the @jjjimi84 posts and see what you guys did.
Seeing as there is a sale on right now I feel an urge,🤦‍♂️…….

I don't know if there's been a revision since I built mine but the toggle is up/down, with bass on the bottom. You could save yourself a few bucks by not putting in the 4pdt toggle and just hard wiring it for the bass position

Just to add: I use the DLS in SB mode whenever I play my basses, and an amp in the box. You can get a lot out of it: Entwistle, Geddy Lee, John Wetton, Chris Squire, and yes, Lemmy…though I always considered Lemmy a rhythm guitarist, not a bassist…

Haha that’s very true. He did offer a lot of sound to a three piece. I guess you have to with only three instruments. Look at Mike Kerr nowadays. Although all his is done with effects. Lemmy was just volume!!

Haha that’s very true. He did offer a lot of sound to a three piece. I guess you have to with only three instruments. Look at Mike Kerr nowadays. Although all his is done with effects. Lemmy was just volume!!
This reminds me of this old timer who taught bass when I used to take drum lessons in high school (20 years ago). It just occurred to me that this guy must have been permanently wasted, though I didn't know that at the time. Anyway, he'd always hang out in the waiting room between lessons, and one day he starts going on about when he started playin (late 60's) everything was different, and there were no bass "lessons." I remember one of his quotes very well: "before Jaco, bassists were just rhythm guitarists..."

What Coda said... Lemmy's sound doesn't have a lot of low end.

Even Lemmy himself would say in interviews his sound was more guitarist-based than bass-player.

PS: Give any modern bass-player Lemmy's sound to play through and they'll complain all the bottom is lost;
so best to give an approximation than an accurate representation ... like in the movies where the protagonists just pull right up to the front doors of the bank, but in reality they have to circle the block for 15 minutes trying to find parking — nobody would watch a movie that had those 15-minutes of reality. People want to sound liker Lemmy, but really they don't.

Last edited:
What Coda said... Lemmy's sound doesn't have a lot of low end.

Even Lemmy himself would say in interviews his sound was more guitarist-based than bass-player.

PS: Give any modern bass-player Lemmy's sound to play through and they'll complain all the bottom is lost;
so best to give an approximation than an accurate representation ... like in the movies where the protagonists just pull right up to the front doors of the bank, but in reality they have to circle the block for 15 minutes trying to find parking — nobody would watch a movie that had those 15-minutes of reality. People want to sound liker Lemmy, but really they don't.

Its about the mix, not individual instruments...

Back