Let's review footswitches.

Do you prefer a hard click, or a soft click?

• Total voters

Stickman393

Footswitches. They're our main interface with the pedal. Their only job? To switch shit.

But you can easily drop a lot of coin on these little fuckers. Soldering temps, lifecycle, feel, build quality.

Sometimes you want something nice for a special project. Sometimes you need a daily driver. Whatevs.

So hey, let's get switchy. Y'all wanna get switchy with me?

*edit*

So, I'm gathering links for independent research. Will post here.

Daier (china):
https://www.chinadaier.com/category/push-button-switch/foot-switch/

Dailywell (Taiwan):

Alpha (Taiwan):
http://www.taiwanalpha.com/en/products/8?cat=61

Taiway (FS and 700L Series) (Taiwan):

I gots these...

3pdt:

IMG_20220203_183829_copy_1368x1824__01.jpg
Momentary:
IMG_20220203_183838_copy_1465x1954__01.jpg

Last edited:
I buy the ones from LMS, in Oxblood. They are good. I have had some rough ones from Tayda in the past…

I've been collecting for a little bit here. Adding one of each type from LMS, SBP, Tayda, plus some odds and ends from antique electronic supply.

I'm thinking...for the budget range, I could even open these things up and inspect the contacts, springs, general construction. Ya know. See how they're built. See what the differences are, where extra cash is well spent, and where it's just lipstick on a pig.

I haven't got a bad switch yet, but I got 90% of 'em from BLMS and they seem consistently good. I usually get their standard one, but I do like their upgraded soft touch switches, just not enough to pay more for them in every pedal--I tried them a couple of times though.

I got a handful from Tayda and they were fine.

Last edited:
Footswitches. They're our main interface with the pedal. Their only job? To switch shit.

But you can easily drop a lot of coin on these little fuckers. Soldering temps, lifecycle, feel, build quality.

Sometimes you want something nice for a special project. Sometimes you need a daily driver. Whatevs.

So hey, let's get switchy. Y'all wanna get switchy with me?

I gots these...

3pdt:

View attachment 22548
Momentary:
View attachment 22549
Never seen the momentary on the far left before. Looks interesting. Got a link?

Reactions: fig
Blue and black footswitches from Landtone. Cheaper and IMO better quality than Tayda ones.

I buy 'em on AliExpress, I'm sure you could find them on Amazon and eBay too.

And you get a white plastic washer with every single one!

Attachments

• SW1.jpg
    SW1.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 5
  • SW2.jpg
    SW2.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 5
  • SW3.jpg
    SW3.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 8
I'm using that Alpha on left these days for 3PDTs. I don't think soft touches are as big of a concern. The mechanics are simpler and less likely to fail. Also, pretty easy to switch out if they do. Switching a 3PDT is a PITA.

These are all I’ve got left right now… They might be too ugly to use though. 😂 I was thinking of just using them for an effects loop or something.

Attachments

• 5366C5CD-F8CE-4CFB-8FF4-A00D6211ADB4.jpeg
    5366C5CD-F8CE-4CFB-8FF4-A00D6211ADB4.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 16
You can't have a showdown without Otis being represented.

I mean...why not?

Sure, the chrome would get scuffed up pretty quick.

Maybe you could attach one of those little elevator button pushers that were hot at the beginning of the pandemic to your shoe...

The possibilities, man!

Used my first Lehle momentary in a Ditto repair. Works great. Wouldn't want to stomp it though.

Quality switch, that one. Seems like the ideal switch for tap tempo applications.

As to stomping...I mean, sure, but it doesn't seem to be lacking in fortitude. I'm sure it could handle whatever ya throw at it.

Momentaries are a strange class...the softest switch I've found so far is that Lehle. Second is the cheapie non-full tone Tayda.

That one...woof. Cheap little thing. I wouldn't go stomping on that one.

Lots to compare here...lots of places selling the same stuff under different names. Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the Tayda stuff is the same as what certain sellers are selling on Amazon.

Oh, and yeah, the LMS and Gorva switches are externally identical. I'm almost tempted to bend out the tabs and check on the inside of these...but they're certainly at the very least made by the same factory with most of the same parts.

I use both the LMS “Heart” switch and the GORVA switch for all my builds. The GORVA switch has a smoother feel and easier click IMO.

Reactions: fig
I've used blue 3PDT switches from a few different sources a long time ago and couldn't feel or see any difference between any of them.

Now there are a bunch of choices and I'll probably go with ones that aren't the cheapest but not the most expensive either next time I order.

Question: Do more people prefer the hard click or the newer soft click switches? I sell some of my pedals now and again and want to give the stomping public what it wants.

Back