Lofran/fuzzy fox/grizzled grime

Mentaltossflycoon

Excuse the mess. My spaghetti skills are getting better but it might be hard to tell. It got tidied some. Here's three of my favorite things. I have 2 trapezoid spots on my pedalboard both are multidirts. This will be replacing a deathcap/fuzzdog erupter/chopshop which replaced a depot/sodamaster. I made my first moonn lofran quite a while ago and ended up deciding it was my favorite bass fuzz so I donated it to the pedals4ukraine auction. I immediately built this one and then suffered over what to house it with for a very long time.

This is my second fuzzy fox, this one has the mid switch mod giving values if 3, 9, and 15 nf. I have it permanently in octave mode. It's a little thin on its own which I like but you can beef it up with either the lofran slamming it or going into the grizzled grime.

I almost put another chopshop in here, I had one built and tested but the grizzled grime won me over recently which prompted the completion of this project. I wouldn't compare the two, really. I'd say the chop shop didn't get in my way but the GG is far more versatile. While it imparts it's own sound upon your signal the sound is great. Especially compared to the OCDs and clonesI've played with.

Finish is krylon metallic dark metal which is a hilarious name to me.
Screenshot_20221015_013213.jpg Screenshot_20221015_013157.jpg Screenshot_20221015_013320.jpg

Excuse the mess. My spaghetti skills are getting better but it might be hard to tell. It got tidied some. Here's three of my favorite things. I have 2 trapezoid spots on my pedalboard both are multidirts. This will be replacing a deathcap/fuzzdog erupter/chopshop which replaced a depot/sodamaster. I made my first moonn lofran quite a while ago and ended up deciding it was my favorite bass fuzz so I donated it to the pedals4ukraine auction. I immediately built this one and then suffered over what to house it with for a very long time.

This is my second fuzzy fox, this one has the mid switch mod giving values if 3, 9, and 15 nf. I have it permanently in octave mode. It's a little thin on its own which I like but you can beef it up with either the lofran slamming it or going into the grizzled grime.

I almost put another chopshop in here, I had one built and tested but the grizzled grime won me over recently which prompted the completion of this project. I wouldn't compare the two, really. I'd say the chop shop didn't get in my way but the GG is far more versatile. While it imparts it's own sound upon your signal the sound is great. Especially compared to the OCDs and clonesI've played with.

Finish is krylon metallic dark metal which is a hilarious name to me.
View attachment 33940View attachment 33941View attachment 33942
Hey, this might be a goofy request but can you post a picture of the can of paint? I really love this color but I know there are a bunch of different Krylon types at Home Depot.

Full disclosure, I'm already having second thoughts about the fuzzy fox but I'll take it to my next rehearsal for context. There may be surgery in the future.... I'm allowed to love a sound while admitting I won't use it, right?

I think a brassmaster would work better in a live mix but the sound of the ff octave is just so delicious and nasty. The difference is much more apparent through my barefaced cab than my other rigs/ headphones. Is a scrambler the answer? Guess I'll find out. One got bumped to the top of my queue.

Last edited:
An update: This pedal stopped working a few months later which soured me on the trapezoid combination dirt box. Figured i was being too decadent or something. While I already posted new build reports for the rehoused lofran and grizzled grime, the fuzzy fox was the dead circuit so it got set aside for a while. I already have one in a125b so motivation was low until I realized that I wanted the octave switch on a footswitch and the mids toggle mod. I can't remember where I read about that but thanks to whoever suggested it. Fuzzy fox with a reduced scoop is a beautiful thing. Well... if you think nasty is beautiful.

This build not only looks like Frankenstein's monster inside but has actually been reanimated from an already abused and hacked up botch job. It was the volume pot that died btw. The troubleshoot was quite brief for once.

Closest thing to flocking that I have in my garage was the ol granite texture spray paint. A bit of that followed by a light coat of pink and then a little translucent aqua. Glitterblast followed by clear coat and now I have what might be my favorite "rattle can improv" that I've done so far. My daughter is obsessed with mermaids right now so it's mostly inspired by her.
Screenshot_20230811_013225.jpg Screenshot_20230811_013241.jpg Screenshot_20230811_013306.jpg

Back