Looking for 2.5k linear pots

temol

I'm looking for 2.5k linear potentiometers, pcb mount or solder lugs. And of course I prefer Tayda range price, not 2EUR for a piece ;)
Spline shaft, round shaft.. 6mm.. 6.3mm. does not matter.

A-5414_4.jpg

There's 2k.. 5k.. 2.2k. available.. 2.5k is probably one of the hardest to find.

If the pot is used as a voltage divider, you could try using a 10kC pot and install a 3.3k resister across pins 1 and 3. That would approximate a 2.5kB. The resister across the leads changes the taper towards an audio, that's why the C taper is needed to get close to linear. It depends on the circuit though, you have to draw it out and see if that works.

Here's some more info on making different taper pots, but when you have the right value and wrong taper. With your problem, you can't get the value, which is why I suggested the above.

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm

If the pot is used as a voltage divider, you could try using a 10kC pot and install a 3.3k resister across pins 1 and 3. That would approximate a 2.5kB. The resister across the leads changes the taper towards an audio, that's why the C taper is needed to get close to linear. It depends on the circuit though, you have to draw it out and see if that works.

Here's some more info on making different taper pots, but when you have the right value and wrong taper. With your problem, you can't get the value, which is why I suggested the above.

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm
Pretty good article!

Bio77 - I'm familiar with The Secret life of the Pots. 10kC + resistor across legs 1 and 3 equals more or less 2k5 but only for the total value of the potentiometer (between 1 and 3). Things looks worse when you measure resistance between 1-2 and 2-3.
I've just wired 10kC and a 3k3 resistor and here are quick and dirty measurements.

Resistance between 1-3 - 2k48.
Wiper 9 o'clock
Resistance between 1-2 - 2k4, between 2-3 - 3k63
Wiper 11 o'clock
Resistance between 1-2 - 3k6, between 2-3 - 2k8
Wiper 12 o'clock
Resistance between 1-2 - 3k15, between 2-3 - 1k4
Wiper 15 o'clock
Resistance between 1-2 - 2k6, between 2-3 - 244R

2k5 linear potentiometer for reference, 2k52 measured between 1-3
Wiper 9 o'clock
Resistance between 1-2 - 400R, between 2-3 - 2k18
Wiper 11 o'clock
Resistance between 1-2 - 800R, between 2-3 - 1k79
Wiper 12 o'clock
Resistance between 1-2 - 1k29, between 2-3 - 1k28
Wiper 15 o'clock
Resistance between 1-2 - 1k94, between 2-3 - 635R

Cool of you to give it a try and post the data! Looks like I was way off. I had this idea a few years ago. I made a spreadsheet to graph out the taper and it seemed right at the time. I'll look it over and see what's wrong.

What do you think about a 5kB with 2k5 resistors across 1,2 and 2,3?

What are you building that 2k5 works for and 2.2k wouldn't? Is it that big of a deal? I substitute 25k for 22k and 250k for 220k all the time as those values aren't common in the US.

What are you building that 2k5 works for and 2.2k wouldn't? Is it that big of a deal? I substitute 25k for 22k and 250k for 220k all the time as those values aren't common in the US.

I suppose 2k2 would work without any problems. I use them in the tone stack mostly.

Back