M800 OD

joelorigo

Here's my finished M800. My first time using PedalpCB pre soldered J201s and right angle pins. Only 2nd time doing bias on a pedal and the first time was the Sunflower so it was only 1 trimmer. A previous build report suggested using multi-turn trimmers and I ignored that but I now see the wisdom in that suggestion. It was tricky to get them to a specific number. Going for 4.5v on all of them (except Q6), I got dead on with a few and I had to settle with as close as I could get. 4.46v, 4.57v, etc. Since 4.5v was a suggested starting point from others on this forum I doubt that slight difference is a problem. At these voltages it sounds like a big rock amp through my Deluxe Reverb. I have the Tone trimmer pretty far CCW because that is my impression of how a JCM 800 sounds, but I've never played through one. Although I could see how turning it CW to darken up would be useful too. I am curious what adjusting each trimmer does to the sound so I will experiment.

And thanks to @Manuel Ammon who I stole the idea of having the pots go to 11!

Attachments

• IMG_6555.jpg
    IMG_6555.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6554.jpg
    IMG_6554.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 39
Update: I spent some time adjusting each trimmer left and right to see what impact it had. In all of them I didn’t like, or it became unusable the more they were turned. Seems like right around 4.5 was the best overall. So I put them back to as close to that as I could. It does sound good!

Back