DEMO Madbean Stage Fright 2022 - (Maestro MP-1 phaser) w/ top jacks \m/

This post contains an audio or video demo

owlexifry

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This was one of those builds where you go to test it for the first time and it just puts you in the best mood when you're surprised to hear how good it sounds.
and because this phaser is the one i’ve been looking for.

IMG_3477.jpeg
previously i have built (clones of):
- MXR phase 90 [Vero]
- Ross Phaser [Vero]
- Mutron Phasor II [Vero]
- Blackout Effectors Whetstone Phaser [AionFx Redshift]
- Boss PH-1R [AionFx Emerald Resonant Phaser] - (didn't post a build report yet cos i wanted to do a demo but i wasnt really that inspired)

but this Madbean Stage Fright / Maestro MP-1 build is the one. for me, it just works better in all the ways than all of the phasers listed above.

i never went looking for this circuit/board, during BF sales i was keen to grab an anamorph and then see what else i could fill the basket with to justify shipping. so glad i dropped this in.

after recently building the 1590XX Lectric FX DC Echo, and insisting it must go on my board, it kinda meant i really needed to get a 125B phaser with top jacks going (1590BB2 side-jacked ross phaser clone had to go).
the Madbean Stage Fright 2022 PCB is designed to be built with side-jacks, but I was gonna do what I could to make it work with top jacks, and holy crap considering how much error there is in my method, im so glad it worked :D
(measured the distance (10mm?) between the implied PCB edge and 3PDT on the build doc drill template, so after first punching the position of the 3PDT, i shifted the paper template cutout down 10mm for the x2 pots and toggle -> was just enough room for lumberg jacks to fit, following the PedalPCB top jack drill layout)

IMG_3463.jpeg
(i didn't miss Q2. madbean does a nifty thing where you can use an MMBFJ201 on the back ('Q2b') instead of a thruhole 2N5457 on the top.

did a time lapse thing for fun (hand drill action)

IMG_3471.jpeg
the metallic candy purple from tayda also makes me happy.

THE SOUND:
- holy crap. did i mention this phaser is the one?
idk, but for me, ive found it just sounds great at every setting, slow, fast, heaps of balls (resonance), or not much at all, it somehow just works. it's an absolute joy to play like no other phaser ive ever used. absolute shines for cleans, but also loves being boosted with drive or not, and playing into a dirty channel, or clean.
i feel like a part of this is how the 10K depth trimpot (its more of a bias really) inside allows you to set precisely where the swells peak to tune exactly what sort of a response you want from it, more syrup, less syrup, lots of quack, less quack (taking into account the intensity of the balls and speed settings). and yeah i guess other phasers do this with bias trims etc., but for me the overall format and user experience with this phaser has been an absolute joy.

DEMO:
i almost forgot to do slow settings, but i did them at the end, and that's a shame, because the slow sounds are probably my favourite, so skip to the 5 minute mark if you just wanna hear slower swells. it's really long im sorry, but that's just how much i like playing it.

Last edited:
What a great phaser & build & demo.

Please don't ever apologise for a lengthy demo, people can always fast-forward, go back whatever; all playing no yakking = great demo.
Short demos always lack... information.

Thanks for sharing your build.

Just an awesome phaser!
hell yeah 🤟 was totally unexpected.

What a great phaser & build & demo.

Please don't ever apologise for a lengthy demo, people can always fast-forward, go back whatever; all playing no yakking = great demo.
Short demos always lack... information.

Thanks for sharing your build.
thanks @Feral Feline - really appreciate this feedback :)
Sounds amazing. I dig the chord progression, too. Nice playing.
ay cheers! really tried to give this one the justice it deserves.
The only thing I don't ABSOLUTELY LOVE about this is that the list of PCBs that I'm waiting for MBP to re-stock just grew by one.

Beautiful build, beautiful report, and awesome demo!
hahah my bad...
thanks for the kind words! \m/

with demos i try and make them as transparent as possible, just an SM57 +scarlett 2i2+iphone, no smoothing and filling out with reverb (except for the odd solo/lead bit), and no editing - i just try and get one single take that covers all the sounds i want to demonstrate, which often means lots of takes. eventually after about 10 attempts or so, im burnt out and will have to concede and pick one i dislike the least... (e.g. the DC Echo demo did not go how i wanted, choked hard on the noodly overdrive bit, riddled with errors, last thing you want on a delay demo..)

but that didn't happen this time!
this one got done in x1 take.
this has never happened before.
i'm attributing this to either the innate grand simplicity of this phaser, or the power of the Raclette cheese i had the night before 🧀

Back