Make Way for the Real Lizard Queen!

Fingolfen

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I finally got around to finishing up my Lizard Queen clones, and honestly - I'm pleasantly surprised... I figured as inexpensive as the small box version of the Lizard Queen is at this point, I'd try to go all out and do a small box version of the big box pedal as closely as possible.

PedalPCB - Lot Lizard - Saurus Regina - 01.jpg

To better mirror the components in the original big box version, I decided to go ahead and use NOS Allen-Bradley carbon composition resistors. I doubt this will make much (if any) difference in the sound of the unit, but they sure do look cool. For my personal pedal, I also scrounged and used the last of my 100nF Panasonic film capacitors. I've built a couple more just using WIMA film capacitors in place of the Panasonic ones. Both the small and large box versions use a 47pF ceramic capacitor, but they're in different parts of the circuit. After some testing, I went ahead and used both sourcing some NOS ceramics from my local electronics store. The transistors and electrolytic capacitors are all new production.

PedalPCB - Lot Lizard - Saurus Regina - 02.jpg

As I opted not to add a battery to the enclosure, the wiring was really straightforward. I'm using my own 3PDT daughter board that is set up very much like the PedalPCB version. The internal wiring is a mix of ribbon cable and aviation grade wiring from Tube Depot. All of the jack connections are insulated with heat shrink tubing.

PedalPCB - Lot Lizard - Saurus Regina - 05.jpg

Playing on the name of the original pedal, I decided to feature our own reigning reptilian monarch, Steggi, on the enclosure. I may have to change the name of the pedal down the line, but I think the end result is fairly cute - even if it borrows quite a bit from the style of the original.

PedalPCB - Lot Lizard - Saurus Regina - 04.jpg

The sound of the pedal matches the demos I've found online, and honestly I'm really liking it a lot so far. I don't think it is going to replace the K-T Event Fuzz on my main board, but it may join it. I'm going to try and get some tone demos in the near future.

Tiny bit more at the blog: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2023/07/cloning-lizard-queen.html

Excellent all around and some of your best art.

Where do you score old resistors?

Also...Source for that blue 5817 NOW!
Thanks! This was a fun one to put together art-wise...

The Allen Bradleys are a mix of ones from Pedalhacker and sets from ebay.

The blue 1N5817 is from a batch I found at Surplus Gizmos in Hillsboro, OR. I've still got a few, and they may still have some as well (though they're not shipping at this point). Next time I'm by I'll scrounge and see if they have any more.

Thanks! This was a fun one to put together art-wise...

The Allen Bradleys are a mix of ones from Pedalhacker and sets from ebay.

The blue 1N5817 is from a batch I found at Surplus Gizmos in Hillsboro, OR. I've still got a few, and they may still have some as well (though they're not shipping at this point). Next time I'm by I'll scrounge and see if they have any more.
Cool. I only live about 10,000 miles from Oregon :)

Back