Maleficent Mids low headroom

I just built this and was just testing it out. I can get unity gain with volume at 12 o’clock. As I increase the mids, my amp goes into a soft overdrive, which I think is working as intended. It’s a “Strat fixer” type of pedal, I like it a lot. The switch doesn’t seem to affect the tone too much for me, not sure if it’s very subtle or I goofed.
I made sure its not amp OD by testing over the Direct Montitor on my audiointerface. Also the distortion it produces sounds way more unpleasant :D
Maybe my pickups are just way hotter than yours. With my Humbuckers I cant even get to unity gain when I want to increase the mids by a good amount (on 9V that is). Scooping works better.
Also I am runnig it on 18V now as suggested, which works better.

But I am glad it serves you well! Lets hope it still works when you fixed your switch ;)

I made sure its not amp OD by testing over the Direct Montitor on my audiointerface. Also the distortion it produces sounds way more unpleasant :D
Maybe my pickups are just way hotter than yours. With my Humbuckers I cant even get to unity gain when I want to increase the mids by a good amount (on 9V that is). Scooping works better.
Also I am runnig it on 18V now as suggested, which works better.

But I am glad it serves you well! Lets hope it still works when you fixed your switch ;)
Replaced the switch. The pedal works as expected. And I really like the way it sounds! As far as headroom goes, I think there is plenty. If I keep the volume to 9 o’clock I can turn the mids up almost all the way before hearing any saturation. And I’m still convinced that the saturation comes from the amp: my TK is basically always at the edge of breakup and I haven’t tried it with an amp with a lot more headroom. Is it possible that there is something off in your build causing the distortion?

I first suspected that there is something wrong with my built until some said it is just how this pedal behaves. Now that you state the opposite, I probably should go back to debugging...
Did you try yours with Humbuckers?

I first suspected that there is something wrong with my built until some said it is just how this pedal behaves. Now that you state the opposite, I probably should go back to debugging...
Did you try yours with Humbuckers?
I did not. I don’t have a guitar with humbuckers 😳

Back