Maleficent Mids low headroom

Diego

Hi guys,

I recently got the (Haunting Mids) on the board. I built it to have an always-on tone-shaping tool.
However, I've noticed that the pedal tends to distort even at low guitar volume, especially when you boost the mids. Even with single coils it already distorts from about 60% guitar volume, with humbuckers or other pedals before it is even worse. don't think that can be right, it is supposed to be a booser/EQ after all...

Is such low headroom normal for the pedal or does this sound like a mistake in my build to you (I sure hope so)?

Diego Maleficent Mids build.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, however, I thought that indications whether the pedal behaves normally is enough for now. But I will of course also upload a photo.

If the headroom is that low, it's much less usable for me, more of a niche thing than a always on thing....

I thought about trying it with higher voltage, but I do not want to grill it ;)

If memory serves, lm833s can be pushed to 18v. Swap the aiCs for those. You are right, however, might as well use an EQ pedal.

I just built this and was just testing it out. I can get unity gain with volume at 12 o’clock. As I increase the mids, my amp goes into a soft overdrive, which I think is working as intended. It’s a “Strat fixer” type of pedal, I like it a lot. The switch doesn’t seem to affect the tone too much for me, not sure if it’s very subtle or I goofed.

I just built this and was just testing it out. I can get unity gain with volume at 12 o’clock. As I increase the mids, my amp goes into a soft overdrive, which I think is working as intended. It’s a “Strat fixer” type of pedal, I like it a lot. The switch doesn’t seem to affect the tone too much for me, not sure if it’s very subtle or I goofed.
I don't think it's your amp that goes into overdrive.

EDIT: Also saw a guy on Facebook simulate why the hell C102 is there and apparently all it does is ADD noise.

Last edited:
I don't think it's your amp that goes into overdrive.

EDIT: Also saw a guy on Facebook simulate why the hell C102 is there and apparently all it does is ADD noise.
Actually I found a shot switch so don’t take my experience into account until I replace it.

Back