Mixing and Matching Transistors for the Sunflower Fuzz

Greetings! Was pleasantly surprised when my Small Bear order arrived today and I started digging in. I bit the bullet and got some paired transistors for my Sunflower Fuzz that I am building. Went a little overboard but I don't think I will want to mess with germanium transistors ever again (haha, I say that now...) and was curious your thoughts on how I should proceed. I socketed the transistor spot on the board so I can switch easily. I'm also still learning so might need a little bit of handholding here, but appreciate any help you have!

Here's what I got:
- Transistor Pair "Fuzz Face PNP US": Q1 = 84 with 86 leakage / Q2 = 161 with 118 leakage
- Transistor Pair "Fuzz Face Russian Bear": Q1 = 100 with 23 leakage / Q2 = 123 with 45 leakage
- Russian P416Bs - with gains at 70, 76, 80 and 81 (those last two were supposed to be in the 80-120 range, but I was hoping for a little higher...oh well!)

My real questions (and this could be for the Sunflower or any FF circuit perhaps):
1. Many have told me Q1 should be 70-85 and Q2 should be 100-140 so should I pick and choose from what I have (the 70 and 123 seem most obvious?) or should I keep the pairs as they are and see how they go together first?
2. As I understand, for the Sunflower, I do not need to bias the actual transistors - BUT - what are your suggested ways to set up the pedal (do you adjust the internal trimmers first, if so, which one and how far, what about that external bias control, etc.)?
3. Also side note, is there a mod to simulate a dying battery/sag for the 9v path (I know I can add a battery connector and also have sag on my power supply, but was curious other methods)?

Curious how you all like to run your fuzz faces too and if you have any tips or tricks.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Everyone has opinions on what HFE to use in a FF except me. Install sockets and experiment. Only you will know what sounds good to you. Leakage is at least as important as HFE, what are the Oracles telling you about that?

Back