MMBF5457’s and where they at?

I have two of the Aion adaptor board 5457s left. I don't need any soon but I'm thinking about doing a Pharmacist which requires four 5457s. So, alternatives would be good.

Reactions: spi
I noticed @PedalPCB adapterboards aren't dual sided anymore, so I guess we're just install the 5457's flipped around the board layouts

It wasn't necessary. The component libraries that were floating around the net a few years ago had the drain and source reversed on one of them (either MMBFJ201 or MMBF5457, I can't recall)... This was incorrect but went unnoticed because the drain and source are interchangeable anyway.

I left the J201 marking on the adapter just so it isn't confused with some other SOT23 pinout but you can use them with either, no need to reverse anything.

I have a few hundred MMBF5457's that I've been meaning to add to the site I just keep forgetting.

For what it's worth, I bought 20 x 2N5089s from this seller, they test in spec and I've used them in a couple of pedals which are working as expected. I've bought a few other items from this seller, all working.

I just bought 20 x 2N5457s. If they turn out to be duds, OK, but I'm reasonably optimistic. Not all Chinese sellers are dodgy, in general I've found that as long as you have some critical reasoning skills, you can avoid most of the rip-offs.

For what it's worth, I bought 20 x 2N5089s from this seller, they test in spec and I've used them in a couple of pedals which are working as expected. I've bought a few other items from this seller, all working.

I just bought 20 x 2N5457s. If they turn out to be duds, OK, but I'm reasonably optimistic. Not all Chinese sellers are dodgy, in general I've found that as long as you have some critical reasoning skills, you can avoid most of the rip-offs.
I've used that seller as well and had good results

I bought MMBF5457 from them - no luck, all out of specs.

I've bought 2n5457s from this seller before and they're just a shy out of a spec but more than fine for pedals. My ATMega transistor tester didnt recognize them as JFETs but my DCA75 did.

I've bought 2n5457s from this seller before and they're just a shy out of a spec but more than fine for pedals. My ATMega transistor tester didnt recognize them as JFETs but my DCA75 did.

I have a DCA75 too, went a bit crazy with the spending during one of the interminable lockdowns. The bag of 20 x 2N5089s all measured around hFE 350, which is about right for them, maybe slightly low but - as you say - fine for pedals. And they sound great where I used them, five of them in a Carcass (Carcosa) pedal, so I'm entirely satisfied with them.

I think we are in the final stretch of the golden age of diy pedal building. Many thru hole transistors, jfets and ICs are either obsolete or entering EOL. Even alot of smd parts are going the way of the dodo. How long before thru hole resistors and caps are phased out? The future is smds, hot air stations, solder paste and ovens. Get it in while we can.
I should have insisted on PIFmas this year to blow out the cold storage pcbs ... there's shit in there I have no intention of doing and by the time I get around to it there won't be parts left to do it with

I think we are in the final stretch of the golden age of diy pedal building. Many thru hole transistors, jfets and ICs are either obsolete or entering EOL. Even alot of smd parts are going the way of the dodo. How long before thru hole resistors and caps are phased out? The future is smds, hot air stations, solder paste and ovens. Get it in while we can.
Try this guy. His names Mike, good dude. I’ve been working with him as of late and already received numerous orders that were all professionally packed and shipped quickly. He’s got literally 1,000’s more components than what he has listed on eBay, so if you don’t see something you need just send him a message. He’s also got thousands of smd fets 5457’s, 4393 etc. Mikes super easy to work with and is more than happy to negotiate price. He literally said to me he’s got more products coming in then going out at this point and needs to reverse that asap. Seems like the perfect solution to our predicament.

Also, he’s got a money back guarantee.

Last edited:

This is one of those pedal opinions that I agree with just a hair more than I disagree with it and flip flop every other day.

We all know the negative side any time we look for obsolete components, so let me share some of the things that make me excited to be making pedals now:
  • PCB Fabrication and SMT assembly is constantly getting cheaper and faster. Feel like you don't have the time to breadboard a circuit? (That's a lie, but) Embrace hyper-globalism instead of despairing in it! Have a pcb of it show up in your mailbox in a week for a few bucks instead.
  • DSP is constantly getting better and more accessible to hobbyists. You can run Faust (!!!!) programs on ESP-32s that cost a buck (although the $25 Teensy might be a better option). Garageband, software free with an OS, still has amp emulators that are better than modeling amps you can buy at a guitar center, and I say this as a Katana owner.
  • I probably thought a TO-92 was crazy small the first time I soldered one. SOT-23s don't feel so tiny to me anymore (just in time for most manufacturers to have been moving to smaller packages for years)
  • For all we covet them for, germanium transistors are the ones that killed tubes, not silicon transistors.
  • I like being challenged in this hobby because it makes it keep feeling new. The obsolete parts that we use a lot in pedals are being replaced by something in the industries that dictate manufacturing, even if not a direct substitute, and learning how to cobble that shit together to keep making pedals sounds like exactly the kind of fun challenge I like.
  • Less time to build pedals is more time to find new reasons to avoid practicing :)
All of that said, bending resistor leads and dropping them into PCBs is practically meditation for me. I could gladly do it for hours. Stepping further and further away from the physical elements I enjoy like that is a bummer.

This is one of those pedal opinions that I agree with just a hair more than I disagree with it and flip flop every other day.

We all know the negative side any time we look for obsolete components, so let me share some of the things that make me excited to be making pedals now:
  • PCB Fabrication and SMT assembly is constantly getting cheaper and faster. Feel like you don't have the time to breadboard a circuit? (That's a lie, but) Embrace hyper-globalism instead of despairing in it! Have a pcb of it show up in your mailbox in a week for a few bucks instead.
  • DSP is constantly getting better and more accessible to hobbyists. You can run Faust (!!!!) programs on ESP-32s that cost a buck (although the $25 Teensy might be a better option). Garageband, software free with an OS, still has amp emulators that are better than modeling amps you can buy at a guitar center, and I say this as a Katana owner.
  • I probably thought a TO-92 was crazy small the first time I soldered one. SOT-23s don't feel so tiny to me anymore (just in time for most manufacturers to have been moving to smaller packages for years)
  • For all we covet them for, germanium transistors are the ones that killed tubes, not silicon transistors.
  • I like being challenged in this hobby because it makes it keep feeling new. The obsolete parts that we use a lot in pedals are being replaced by something in the industries that dictate manufacturing, even if not a direct substitute, and learning how to cobble that shit together to keep making pedals sounds like exactly the kind of fun challenge I like.
  • Less time to build pedals is more time to find new reasons to avoid practicing :)
All of that said, bending resistor leads and dropping them into PCBs is practically meditation for me. I could gladly do it for hours. Stepping further and further away from the physical elements I enjoy like that is a bummer.
Nothing better than a good audiobook and a couple pcbs :)

I've enjoyed the SMD stuff so far.
They'll never take my breadboard!
SMD components are cheaper, and take up less space.
I have enough thru-hole to last me! I just need to rent that mini warehouse for my passives.
DSP is good, just different.
I just bought a $3K tube amp!
You can still build analog circuits with SMD.
There goes the badass clipping options.

I've enjoyed the SMD stuff so far.
They'll never take my breadboard!
SMD components are cheaper, and take up less space.
I have enough thru-hole to last me! I just need to rent that mini warehouse for my passives.
DSP is good, just different.
I just bought a $3K tube amp!
You can still build analog circuits with SMD.
There goes the badass clipping options.
Ooh! Which amp?

• Haha
Reactions: fig
Fender '64 CDR. 20 watts of tubular bliss. I'm not saying it's the last amp I will buy, but it's certainly the only one I really need covet.
Very cool, congratulations! I’d love an old fender. After 30 years of playing solid state amps I finally purchased my first big boy amp (Orange TH30 with an Orange PPC212c) about a year or so ago. I was blown away by the tonal difference. Unfortunately, I’ve yet to turn it up past about 2 (if it went to 10) because of how incredibly loud it is -I’ve never turned it off the 7.5w setting. However, I’ve got a Fryette PS-2 on the way that I hope will help in that dept.

Back